Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Wales and question  (Read 2240 times)

Grasshopper30

• Joined Feb 2010
Hello from Wales and question
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:40:15 pm »
Hi everyone

My name is Sally and my husband and I have recently moved to a 20 acre small holding in Carmarthenshire West Wales. We currently have 3 pigs and 36 chickens, mostly ex-bats which are in re-hab! 

I wonder if any pig-keepers out there may be able to help me? I am trying to order some ear-tags for the pigs ready for the sad day that they go to slaughter. When I am filling in the details for the tags there is a section that says "animal start number" and for the life of me I can't find anywhere that tells me what this number is! I am probably being really dense but if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Sally

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello from Wales and question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Sally.  No idea about pigs, but there are loads of folk on here who have and will help you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:17:26 pm »
hello and welcome.
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:30:57 pm »

Hi from the Scottish Borders, only thing that I have on tags is the Herd no, I certainly have never heard of a Start Number, perhaps it is a missprint. Could it be your holding number?. Sorry not much help am I but welcome anyway.
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:58:59 pm »
Hi and welcome! I have no dea what a shart number is either. Sorry.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
Isn't that just that you start with 00001 and then on from that? I also order double tags, one for each ear. Makes identification for when they come back to the butcher more straightforward (in case someone swapped them -- happened before...)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:00:15 pm »
Hello Grasshopper welcome a funny for you especially.Two chaps Mick and Paddy took delivery of two pigs and Mick said how shall we know which is yours and which is mine.We shall cut a V in mines ear and not yours Good idea and this they did .In the morning due to the pigs fighting in the night one could not tell one from the other Oh dear I know Paddy said I'll cut my pigs tail off .Next morning same thing.Sod it said Mick you have the black one and I'll have the white one! :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS