Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on where to move to  (Read 11270 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Advice on where to move to
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »
Hi, we have the house on the market and did have an offer a while ago but I think hes dropped off the planet now we are having some work done that was found in the survey, that's a joke as the "quote" for all the work from a complain that's well known came to £14,000 without decoration, now we have the exact same job quoted but reputable companies that will guarantee their work for no more than £4,500 so a £10,000 difference!!!
We are getting it done as its minor stuff but we are in a dilemma, I love it in Scotland and want to live in a small community near to public transport as my husband cannot drive so uses his push bike and the train!!! Here is ideal for all the box's, but then I accidently looked at other places and now are mixed up.  We both do social care or housing work and there is a lot around so as we worked in Leicestershire before with no prob, we know we should get some work, also with not much of a mortgage, not too stressed about pay being brilliant!!
We did put an offer in for our ideal house but sadly due to the one person, we had to pull out and its now sold, not gutted but it now makes me wonder.......so.....so we stay around the central belt? Move some where in England, or even Wales or go to the highlands?    My youngest lives near Leicester but the other 2 are in Australia so that's not a factor either!! HELP.......I need a fortune teller!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »
Wish i could help Sandy.  Not being able to afford a  door mat , let alone the house to go with it , i don't look at places for sale .
Hope you find something that suits you soon though mate .
 Very hard times on the way , i would avoid towns if possible ?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Advice on where to move to
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:26:50 pm »
Sandy,
I can't even to beging to advise.  We moved to Wales earlier this year from the south of England. I don't regret it, although somewhere drier may have been nice  ;D
We moved because we wanted a bit of land and we could never have afforded that where we were. We didn't need an income either so that was a great bonus.
Are you in a position where you could visit some of the places that may be of interest? That might help to sort out the possibles from the list.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:16 pm »
I still love it here, its my sort of place but more a village ...whats going to happen in the towns then? The house we wanted was set on its own but a little lane away from civilisation and the house had a nice big gun cupboard :excited:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »
I have loads of relatives in North Wales but the language can be a big of a barrier, I love Wales too but just as wet as here""""  We were buying  a house in Roseland Menheriot Cornwall before we moved up here, we made the right decision but I noticed that one near to the one we wanted is being sold for much more so prices still are going up in some places!!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:32:22 pm »
Aviemore  small village     whot is has that no other has no crime no police state of the art medical practis x ray plaster etc new school fantastic people  take a look      http://www.daysoutcairngorms.co.uk/highlandwildlifepark.php                        http://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/dnn/                                         http://www.reindeercentre.co.uk/gallery.php                                                      http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-aviemore-resort/                                              http://scotland2000.com/index.php?q=dalfaber                                                                                             http://www.cairngorm.com/                                                                                                                         http://www.cairngormmountain.org/                                                                                         take a look on christmas eve a big carnival  for everey one            Aviemore Christmas Parade 2011           

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »
Sandy,
There is a house for sale quite near us and if I could then I would post the link :dunce:
3 bed bungalow in need of upgrading (but doesn't look too bad)
1.9 acres, some in woodland
lots of out buildings
planning for another house (holiday let potential)
....and only £140,000
BUT the downside is we have no public transport
Worth a look to see what you can get in the highlands though
Bell Ingram is selling and look under Rosehall, Sutherland
I am obviously biased towards the Highlands :-J

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »
Just our sort of price, I shall have a look, its hard when you do not drive, I hope that my husband will have some money to get back driving ASAP as the highlands and avimore look very very appealing to me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:34:47 pm »
I think until you have a firm offer for your house it's probably difficult to know what to do, but perhaps a starting point is to decide how many bedrooms and living rooms you need, whether you need land or not, then go into one of the national House websites like Remax, Right Home, etc etc to see what you can get in each area for the money you have left after deducting your mortgage and costs involved in moving, and compare that to what you want.  If you are not fussy about area it will be easier to find what you want.

Rightmove has a good section which shows you the price of a house when it was sold at different times in the last few years.  For instance that Roadside white cottage on teh main road that's just been renovated sold for about £124K, but was bought a few years ago for  £47K.  Don't know what they spent on it though.

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:46:38 pm »
Zoopla are good too....its more work than price of the house etc, that's why its great here as we are near the train, Perth would be good ....I printed a train map off and anywhere on a route to all the major towns and cities is great....I have my eye on another property in Lanarkshire, near where we lived when we first moved, Strathaven was lovely and near to Hamilton station, the down side was it seemed wetter there!!  We only need 1 or 2 bedrooms, its the location more than anything.....I have seen some new ones that are OK too, who knows? ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:19 pm »
Move to our village Sandy - pleeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!  :bouquet:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:03:49 pm »
steves family are from Malvern......love it there too...Lisa I am ham fisted for wrapping!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »
It's a difficult balance - pay a bit more but need a good job to support the payments or aim for mortgage free and need less work.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:20 pm »
Carnoustie is nice. We've got good public transport to Dundee, Aberdeen, Perth, Edinburgh and Glasgow and all points in between. Carnoustie itself has teashops, a Co-op, a greengrocer's, butchers and so on. Feels like a proper small town.
Good health centre. A lot going on in terms of clubs etc - including Canine Capers  :eyelashes: . Lots of walking on the beach and on the Army Camp when it's open. Two good country parks a few miles away and not far from the beautiful Angus Glens, Lunan Bay etc.

Hmm, think I'll move there  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »
Most houses I love are being sold very quickly, there is a wonderful house with an acre backing onto woodland but no rail links, still near here but too difficult to get to a train from...especially in the harsh weather, loads I love in Aberfoyle but again, too bad for the train,,,,,If I had a wish it would be for steve to drive, we only need one car as I have my bus pass :excited: The idea of being able to walk to a bus or go to a shop without taking a car would be great yet still want the trees and space around, not bothered about land but a view....I saw an ex council house but forgot where it was, some where around Glasgow but it had 2 acres with it and in a nice quiet spot!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS