Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Won't be renewing my National Trust membership!!  (Read 7710 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
Won't be renewing my National Trust membership!!
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:36:06 am »
 :goat: I was sure I had seen something recently about the national trust using goats to clear ivy from a site in the south west somewhere, so I started to search online as I wanted to show the OH

I didn't find the stuff I was looking for but came across these two articles both of which shocked me.

needless to say I WON'T be renewing my membership this year!!!!!  So here you have it goat owners if your goats :goat: keep escaping shoot them!

I know these are oldish but I had no idea

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1560436.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/3565705/National-Trust-row-over-goat-cull-on-Snowdonia.html
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Won't be renewing my National Trust membership!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:32 am »
If they were destined for the abattoir anyway, the NT extended their lives, so what's the problem? They were humanely destroyed. But a headline saying "National Trust tries really hard to find homes for goats" doean't get as much reaction. Remember, the papers aren't there to report the news, they're there to sell newspapers. All of them.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:48 am »
This is where goats are famously used in the south west to keep the ivy and weeds under control http://www.visitcheddar.co.uk/greatfamilydaysout-3milewalk.html

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:38:47 am »
Sounds good!  Can anybody lend me a goat for a week or two?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:15 pm »
If they were destined for the abattoir anyway, the NT extended their lives, so what's the problem? They were humanely destroyed.

Not so much the Studland ones that bothered me I can see that they were there to do a job, even though a bit harsh shooting them, it was the second link about the feral/wild goats in Snowdonia

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:01:34 pm »
This is where goats are famously used in the south west to keep the ivy and weeds under control http://www.visitcheddar.co.uk/greatfamilydaysout-3milewalk.html

Really interesting but not the one I was looking for they were using BT wethers and using them to clear ivy from stone buildings some sort of military site WW1 or WW2 not sure which

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:41:54 am »
The National Trust and other so called "conservation groups" do this  regularly,ask The Feral Goat Society.It seems goats are fare game yet Gawd forbid they cull any other livestock.They are happy to forever  talk about reintroducing wolves and beavers  on the TV but when it comes to slaughtering to extinction the animals we already have the camera's point into the other direction ::)

http://www.britishferalgoat.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/British-Feral-Goat-Research-Group/128962910497814?sk=wall#!/pages/British-Feral-Goat-Research-Group/128962910497814?sk=info

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:34:31 am »
What gets me is why they couldn't do the same as the new forest do with ponies! round up some of the goats now and again and auction off to private buyers? i know some would go for meat like this but at least its not as bad as being shot on the hillside!! ??? the NT would get some money back through it to use on 'conservation' projects and im sure the public and goat clubs/societies would be happier that the goats we're given a chance to find some good homes.......just an idea! ;)
'can't rain all the time!'

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 08:40:19 am »
Sounds like a pretty sensible idea to me - it's exactly what I thought too when I saw the article!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:23:05 am »
I had 3 NT properties enquire about selling my goats milk soap in their shops - I don't think so now!! I don't want my products (made from well cared for, loved even goats) being associated with a place that treats them like rusty lawnmowers - once their work is over they are on the scrap heap.
Its not so much the fact they were culled, but how it was done. Goats are a prey animal and seeing their herdmates hunted down will have been very stressful I feel, not humane at all.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »
Have any of us told the NT what we think and why? I haven't but think I will - they should know how much they've offended people and that it's affecting their sales/membership/sourcing products.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »
Just out of interest, is this culling not comparable to the culling of deer that is commonplace?

I have been to Snowdonia and seen the damage done by overgrazing (by domestic sheep as well as feral goats)  :-\

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 05:19:06 pm »
Just out of interest, is this culling not comparable to the culling of deer that is commonplace?
I have been to Snowdonia and seen the damage done by overgrazing (by domestic sheep as well as feral goats)  :-\
While I hear what you are saying, I think (quite probably I am biased!) that goats have a level of intelligence and empathy that quite possibly outweighs that of many other livestock. When I lost my first whether, I saw something that changed how I thought. It was pouring with rain - anyone that knows goats, knows that they will mostly leg it at the first drop of the wet stuff into their shed! - not my boys mum, Avocet. She stood strong next to the vet and I while we did all we could to help her son. Once the vet and I had managed to lift him into the shed between us, and only then, did she come in for cover herself. WHile he died and for hours after she cried over him, literally cried. Now for goats to have witnessed other members of their herds being shot at, possibly fatally injured but not killed outright even, I personally believe this to be stressful and inhumane.
we also keep sheep here - creatures that make me bury my head in my hands each time we attempt a simple procedure such as transferring them from a small pen into a big field and they get all confused and homersimpson like bless 'em.
Perhaps my goats are just pampered and spoiled though  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 05:35:28 pm »
I think, as you say, Plums, it was the way it was done that was the issue.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 09:15:11 am »
What frustrates me is reading Wild goats of UK and Northern Ireland in the 70's and realizing how many herds have been wiped out!Since henmost of those that were left have been destroyed.One daypeple will say "where have the goats gone?" but as it is going on very sneakily no one will notice anyway,the only time they are mentioned is when they want some silly female reporter to run around talking about "BillyGoatsGruff" and showing off her bum as she grabs some terrified goat...and thats oncein a blue moon.
  Just watched yet another programme on Keilder and not a word about goats,I watched one on Lundy Ilse last month,again  nothing about the goats,neither onthe programme on Scotland or North Devon.
             The Bagot was almost wiped outwhile  no one was looking thanks to the naturalist PhilDrabble who had the nerve to live in Goat Lodge (named for the Bagots),and go up the wall if anyone tried to shoot his precious deer but when asked what should be done about the last 39 Bagots left in the world said "Shoot them!" >:(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:13:00 pm by jinglejoys »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS