Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating sheep poo and dead mice  (Read 14838 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Eating sheep poo and dead mice
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:02 am »
Is this a sign of a deficiency or something I'm not to worry to much about? Murphy loves a nice lump of sheep poo to start the day and any mouldy mice Snowball has left lying around he tries to chomp on too but I do get them off of him  ;)
Do I need to look at his food/minerals or anything please?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Eating sheep poo and dead mice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:06 am »
No, he is just being a scavenging dog I'm afraid.

Try to teach him the command 'leave it!'  starting by teaching with a little dog treat in front of him, command him to leave it, then praise him and give him a bigger, nicer treat for leaving a little treat. Over several weeks he should be very keen to leave on command if he is rewarded well. then start giving the command to other items such a s toys. It will develop quickly as long as he always gets a nice reward for leaving what to him looks nice. You should quickly be able to establish this to anything including sheep poo or   dead mice  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:35:07 am »
Frankly, poo out of your own sheep is probably a lot more nutritious to a dog than a lot of commercial dog feeds and biscuits.

Seriously, dogs need plant fibre and can't process cellulose, so eating herbivore poo is nature's way.  A lot of commercial dog feeds contain waste from chicken sheds to meet just this need...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:05:37 pm »
I wouldn't worry about teh sheep poo as they are wormed regularly and fed well, but I would certainly use the leave it command for anything dead.  Freckles chomped on something yesterday but I was too far away from her to enforce any commands so I walked on and she eventually followed me - but boy what a stink she made all evening!  :innocent: And although they were all wormed only 3 weeks ago I think I'll keep an eye on her poos for a wee while till I can worm them again.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »
The only thing to do if you really hate it is to look the other way!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:15:17 pm »
Yes, sheep droppings - dogs love 'em  :yum:   When we lived on the outskirts of a town we had a neighbour's dog which would raid our cat litter tray - he just loved cat poo rolled in cat litter  :P   I think he was simply deranged because all he was going to pick up potentially was parasites - lucky for him we wormed our cats regularly.
As well as a nicely shaped sheep dropping, our dogs love their foot clippings too  ???   I'm sure that as Sally says the dogs are getting nutrition and fibre from the sheep droppings, although ours eat grass and couch roots too occasionally.  Cooked vegetables ie leftovers, added in to their dinner might help, if you don't like the post-poo-eating-session dog breath  ;D

Dogs eating dead things is always a worry in case they have died of poison which is still active in the corpse and could poison the dog.  Ours only like to chew on really ancient dead vermin which have turned into frisbees.  Three day old dead crows, deer etc though are wonderful to roll in  :dog: :dog: :excited:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:38 pm »
Dog novice here: Why do they roll in smelly stuff then?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
Nah, he's just being a dog :D

Well in theory they roll in the smelly stuff to disguise their scent so they can creep up on prey animals and eat them.

In practice, I just think some dogs just love muck  :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »
....and they have a particularly urgent need to roll in something REALLY smelly just after a bath, to get rid of that horrible shampoo smell  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »
Absolutely  :D The disgrace of walking round smelling like a girlie human  :roflanim:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:25 pm »
Ours like horse poo, sheep poo and chicken poo; Tess likes horse and Meg likes chicken  ::) ; don't do dead things so much but our cats have never left much in the way of corpses around.

It's just the joy of dog ownership - one of the plus sides is is Snowball's ever sick, Murphy will probably clean up  :eyelashes:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
 ;D  brilliant - thanks everyone  :thumbsup:  Just reassuring to know its all normal!

- one of the plus sides is is Snowball's ever sick, Murphy will probably clean up  :eyelashes:
  ;D haha! oh that makes me feel a bit queasy now lol!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56:38 pm »
;D  brilliant - thanks everyone  :thumbsup:  Just reassuring to know its all normal!

- one of the plus sides is is Snowball's ever sick, Murphy will probably clean up  :eyelashes:
  ;D haha! oh that makes me feel a bit queasy now lol!!
My dog particularly likes the cat sick, probably because there are lods of pieces in it an not just mush. Urgh, why do we have them?  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 02:54:15 pm »
Oh I remember the GSD I grew up with always eating cat sick now - ooh its all flooding back (the memory that is!!)

Murphy has just killed a mouse. He and Snowball (the cat) rounded it up between them and she left him with it. Looks like he'll be great with ratting in the barn!! won't let him eat already dead ones though because of possible poisoning etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »
By all means take dead things off them / clear them up if you see them - but don't be overanxious if you think they may have eaten one; the amount of (legal) poison it takes to kill a rat won't have much effect on a dog.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS