Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blight Resistant Potatoes - which ones to grow?  (Read 3607 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Blight Resistant Potatoes - which ones to grow?
« on: February 28, 2023, 04:37:18 pm »
Borders Organic Gardners Potato Day this Sunday!

I need a bight resistant maincrop potato. Have grown Sarpo Mira successfully, just don't like the way it goes all to mush when cooked (though very good they are for mash!).

Mr Google is recommending the following for blight resistance (and these are on offer by BOG on Sunday):

Carolus
Cara
Record
Setanta
Valor

I have grown Cara and Setanta before with reasonable success, but was wondering if anyone had tried the other varieties?

Anyone got a particular recommendation? I am actually just looking for a good boiling/baking potato for winter, so maincrop.

Growing Charlotte for eating in summer and autumn, and we have stored them successfully until now, but they are quite small and at this time of year I prefer to peel mine.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Blight Resistant Potatoes - which ones to grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 04:48:32 pm »
I've grown Carolus and it was OK, but scabby. We grew Caledonian Rose last year, as a substitute for Rooster. It was fantastic - great yield, well shaped, clean tubers. Good for chips, baking and mash, great flavour. Has stored exceptionally well ie we're still eating them. Growing them again this year - hope 2022 wasn't a fluke.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 05:18:32 am »
Sounds good, but alas not on the list they have for sale on Sunday.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 05:41:29 pm »
I find all the Sarpos a bit coarse tasting.
Of the 5 mentioned, I have grown Setanta, Cara and Carolus but not the other two. This year, as last year, it's Setanta and Carolus (it is on the list and well worth trying!) which both suit my soil and growing conditions. I don't grow earlies, just maincrop.  You just have to try them and see how they do for you. I seem to remember that BOG sell in small quantities, so why not try some of each? Whatever someone suggests will not necessarily perform the same in your garden so you just have to try them and see  :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud: :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS