Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Indoor bulbs - what now?  (Read 3505 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Indoor bulbs - what now?
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:27:37 am »
I grew some hyacinths and narcissi indoors this year. The flowers have now gone back. What shoudl I do with them now? Can I use the bulbs again next year? TIA

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Indoor bulbs - what now?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:58:57 am »
Do hyacinths grow outside where you live?

I put mine outside (in pots) over summer, feed until foliage dies down, then bring them in before hard frosts, they flower in spring. If you want them for next Christmas  i think you have to cold treat them to make them think its winter, then put them in a dark place in about September, bringing out when the shoots show.
I had some paperwhite narcissi last year, still waiting for flowers to show. Hyacinths are never as good as first year, but do flower and scent.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 01:59:38 pm »
As PHB says or plant them out in the garden and they will flower again next year.  Perhaps not as well as the first indoors effort, but they will flower again.  Mine have not lasted over winter outdoors, so leave until not so cold before you plant out.  Best to use new bulbs each year indoors if you want big flowers.  I find hyacinth flower perfume too heavy so I only grow them sporadically.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

BastienR

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 06:39:28 am »
Yup! I too will suggest to shift those outdoors. If the flowerless plants are lucky enough to get proper nourishment throughout the year, then you sure will be lucky enough to get new blooms next season. And as for indoors, buy another set of seasonal plants. What's the weather at your place at this time of the year? If it's sunny or partial shady then get a few colorful snapdragon sticks. It could your next bulbs.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 01:55:16 pm »
I had some hyacinths in the greenhouse, side of a deep bed, had small flower heads for a couple of years, this year they were amazing, scent hit me as i opened the door. Wonderful.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 05:42:33 pm »
I was given a hyacinth a few years ago which I dutifully looked after it without doing any research. Its leaves ended up about three feet long like something out of a jungle, the flower shoots were multiple and enormous, blousey red. But I find the shoots a bit phallic and the blooms are a too much for my cottage garden taste. It flowered again last summer but I couldn’t take it so put it outside. I even tried to give it back the the people who’d gifted it to me - said was surprised it was still going, she just chucked them after they flowered. She didn’t take it and has now given me another one :-/

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 09:56:01 pm »
I find they are too much in the house, but lovely in the greenhouse, seemed in place there.
What a shame she chucked them Steph Hen, I would have at least left them in the garden.
But I'm from Yorkshire, can't bear to waste anything LOL.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 01:04:31 pm »
I have them in my raised beds at the entrance to my driveway as I can't stand the smell, but they have flowered really well.  I wouldn't have them in the house at all
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS