Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI using St Trinians Mansie?  (Read 2358 times)

BexNewman

• Joined Oct 2011
AI using St Trinians Mansie?
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:53:36 am »
Hi,

I recently AI'd my cows using St Trinians Manise.  I just wondered if anyone has or had an animal by this bull and if they could let me know what it was like:

- temperment?
- build type?
- milky?
- colour?

I chose him as he was not related to any of my cows - but it would be good to know if anyone has experience of his stock.

Cheers,

Bex

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: AI using St Trinians Mansie?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:56:19 pm »
Can't help directly but if you look for the bull on the SCBA database, you can find his progeny and contact the breeders / current owners direct.

I did that when we were deciding which AI bull to use - Hengae Fearsome. All his listed progeny are in the same herd and are last year's calves, I think, so it wasn't awfully useful. As it turned out, neither held to Fearsome  ;D but that's how I did the research.

HTH

Shetland Centre

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:05:40 pm »
Hi

I suppose I am wondering why not ask the breeders of the bulls?

There are three things I want to know when looking for my ideal calf and thus the correct sire are.

1)The siblings what is the bull throwing? Genotype - previous suggestion very good for folk to help on that one.
2)The bull himself and what he is like. Phenotype
3) The Bulls parents/grandparents etc. etc.

I would hope most breeders would be happy to talk about their bulls - but then yes I am always known as the phone blether that never stops, if its a conversation on Shetlands!!
In Fearsome's case though he was bred by a very nice Lady who would happily chat away but who was not in the breed very long so would not know about the cattle behind him. His father was bred and sold to her by us and his mother was rescued and then later sold to her also by us.

Mansie - temperament - just before he was bred some Shetlands where man eaters - not nice characters, I like to think that the huge number of our St Trinians bulls that have been used in the breed of many different lines have substantially improved temperament so by implication Mansie was fine. We still have an aged daughter of his. Which for us says it all. 

Hope that helps as an idea

Linda

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »
Neither of ours held to Fearsome anyway. Breeze is in calf to Stanemore Odin and Blizzard to Collafirth Viking.

Someone at the SCBA AGM was going to try and pull together information about the AI bulls.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS