Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Exmoor  (Read 3823 times)

judee

• Joined Sep 2010
Hello from Exmoor
« on: September 29, 2011, 02:55:56 pm »
Hi. We have a nearly 10 acre holding on Exmoor. We breed Ouessant and Boreray sheep, and have chickens, ducks, goats, alpacas etc at present we are slogging away at everything and are just reaping the tiny benefits of our hard work (to a small degree). We have been here nearly 5 years. At the moment I am waiting for the local contractor to second turn my hay! Yes I know ..... but you know what a year it,s been and there is a good field of grass there. I don,t know if it will make hay that's any use but if we use it for bedding... or hayledge. My animals are basking in the sun, thank goodness for this lovely weather..they must all be short of vitamin D. I know I am!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Hello from Exmoor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:08 pm »
 :wave:  Hello and welcome from the Peak District in Derbyshire.

Everyone here is getting another crop of hay this week.  Hotter now than its been most of the summer.  I am sure we will be grateful for this extra hay once the winter weather sets in.  The last two years we got September hay, and it was nice.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »
Hello judee  :wave:

I used to live in Exmoor.  You and I maybe crossed paths on the motorway, it's very nearly 5 years since I moved up here to the frozen wastes... 

You probably know a lot of people I knew down there - have you joined DASH?  (Devon Association of Smallholders.)   

Even up here there's grass cut, and there're combines out too.  We've had three good days and another three forecast.  We've been kinda wishing we hadn't finished all ours a few weeks back!   :D

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing more about all your enterprises.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:05:11 pm »
Hello and welcome from not too far from you  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 06:08:53 pm »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

ty capel flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:30:31 pm »
Hi there and welcome. :thumbsup:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:04 pm »
Hi & Welcome from Sunny South West Wales  :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:55:29 pm »
Hi from Darzet! not all that far away!  :wave:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:44:16 am »
Welcome from orth edge of Dartmoor.

What part of Exmoor... I know it very well indeed.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:23:02 am »
Hello from sunny Forfar  :wave:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:42:41 am »
Hello from Banff in Scotland  :wave:

judee

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:03:36 am »
Many thanks for all the greetings! I don,t feel so daft with my nearly October haymaking. I really dread not having enough hay and every year (since we have had animals) the tension mounts as to how we will either make or buy some! Never in a million years did I ever imagine that hay would become my annual obsession. Fingers crossed that the weather holds, it,s looking very misty early mornings.....
We have lived on Exmoor for 20 years but came new to smallholding 5 years ago. We love it but sometimes regret that we didn,t start earlier. The weather has become VERY important to us, and the seasons have REAL meaning. We do sometimes hanker after moving to the Highlands of Scotland, so I,m extremely interested in how things are going for members that have "taken the plunge".
I am a member of DASH, but I find that with the animals, children and other family commitments that I don,t get to meet people. Thanks again for all the good wishes.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:44 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:07 pm »
Hi and warm welcomr from West Wales   :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 10:28:05 am »
Hello from WOrcestershire  :wave:

I missed out on making any hay this year and our grass is shocking as we've been in drought but luckily I've found a lovely man who's still selling for £3 a small bale phew!! will have to keep stocked up as these goats eat like its going out of fashion  ;)
Like you I am juggling children, smallholding and running a small business making goats milk soap as well as caring for a disabled mum - its not always easy to meet people in the flesh so TAS is a godsend  :)
Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS