Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help from those of you in Scotland  (Read 7139 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help from those of you in Scotland
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »
Yes, prices are higher in the Aberdeen area than most places in Scotland and I believe they have not dropped as a result of the recession.  The sale period has just lengthened in stead - so for instance instead of my house selling in a week a year past January, it would probably take about a month now, but the price would be the same
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pauline

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 08:29:20 pm »
Inverness can be quite high priced too, but if you buy outwith ' commuting distance' then you can pick up something resonably priced. We have just bought a 3 bed really good sized farmhouse (move in condition)and 12 acres in sutherland and got it below offers over price. Yes the down side is longer and colder winters and less chance of job prospects but ohhhhhhhhhhhhh the views and the silence and I could go on.......... ::)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 10:15:31 pm »
Scotland has a load of different areas with different potentials. Canna is lovely but I imagine that the winters will be long and blustery with little social stuff to act as a diversion. The A9 runs north south from Inverness to Perth and is a real corridor for running up and down the country. I live on the north slope of the strathmore valley ( runs from Blairgowrie to Kirriemuir) it is the soft fruit centre growing strawberries and rasps.
The soil is rich and light. Here Dundee and Perth are the two main centres and between them supply everything you could need. I travel 25 miles each day into work which takes me 40-45 mins each way. I don't enjoy the commute and am looking for a way to work closer to or at home. However when  I compare my gentle drive through lovely landscape to traffic jam hell down south, I feel lucky. A traffic jam here is anything more that 4 cars or 2 combines. Maybe you should pack a tent and come and visit. you need to walk about and smell where you want to be.
When we are recruiting at work I notice that some folk are nervous about offering an interview to anyone living in England due to relocation and interview travel expenses so if you havea cousin whose address you can use it may very well help.
When I was wanting to come back here from London I had the courier sent to me every Friday for jobs. It is the largest selling daily in Scotland with a circulation larger than either the Scotsman or The Herald. It covers Fife Angus Dundee and Perthshire and Kinross

kirsty

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 01:58:01 am »
TW - Helen - I moved from Adderbury (and you'll know where that is) - up to the Borders Summer 97. Never looked back - fabulous place to bring up kids. Never had any serious hassle about my origins - I run a wee taxi company and sometimes the punters tease me about my "Australian" accent. Makes me laugh cause when I tell them they're way too far South - they accuse me of being a Londoner ..... hey-ho, this Somerset-girlie can take it on the chin. Hey - just go for it - its all beautiful up here. I'm certain that I would never move back South of the Border - maybe up a wee bitty or out West - but happy here. Ah - the West Coast ........!   Good luck. Happy Days. Nettle

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:32:00 am »
I agree with Marigold. You need to come and see some areas and get a feel for it. Then you'll know where's "right". We'd like more land so have been tentatively looking around but I really don't want to move away from this area, so not much chance of more land.

Saw a nice farm on CKD Galbraith site; Butterhole Farm near Dalbeattie. 11acres wood with blubells, 9 acres of pasture, decent house and yard probably in need of some upgrading. About £400k, I think. Looked lovely and it's a nice part of the world.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:59 am »
I knew you guys would be able to give me some good tips! I'm compiling a list of all the sites/resources mentioned. Great to hear from others than have made the move too and how they have found it.  ;D And Rosemary that estate agent site is great. I want to buy them all.   :o

We have spent quite a bit of time in Scotland and Mike spent loads of time in the Borders over the years and I think this is an area we might focus on but not exclusively.

It all adds to our research bank.
Thanks againa nd keep it coming if you think of anything else.
 ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS