Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dolly  (Read 6725 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Dolly
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »

Meet Dolly, the new member of our equine family. 4 year old Welsh section C cross cob. 13.2hh. A winter project. As yet unbroken. After looking around for a purebred and finding nothing that would suit us I saw Dolly for sale on facebook not that far away. She arrived on Thursday and as settled in very well. Granddaughters here for the long weekend and are very taken with the new girl. I keep singing Hello Dolly though !

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Dolly
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:30:29 pm »
Very smart!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:23:07 pm »
Nice  :thumbsup:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:28:14 pm »
Lovely! You can't beat a coloured cob, we have two and they are diamonds  :thumbsup:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:06:18 pm »
Lovely :thumbsup:
Anne

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:31 am »
A bit of a diva though. Been used to getting her own way I think. The girls have been grooming her and yesterday I tried on a breaking roller to see if it would fit her. She was getting fed up. I started cleaning out her feet which I have done every day. Was having none of it and managed to kick my hand when I picked up her near hind. In an instant I smacked her back and she was very shocked. Had a right carry on to herself. The girls were sitting on the straw at a safe distance while I made it quite clear to Dolly that she was going no where until I had cleaned out her feet. In the end she stood and the job was done, Chloe put her back in the paddock and Dolly stood tossing her head about as if to tell me what she thought. No hard feelings this morning though, caught and checked over first thing stood like butter wouldn't melt. Interesting times ahead I think.

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:54 am »
lovely :horse:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »
Things with Dolly have been interesting to say the least. She has a lot of issues. first being her head, hated even getting her headcaller on but I have over come that. The bridle. This I can now get over her ears without much fuss but getting a bit in her mouth is a no no. She will throw herself about rather than have it. I bought a fine rubber one thinking maybe she did not like the metal but no difference. She also can be quite scary to look at when passing her stable. Ears flat back as if she is going to fly at you. So far I can read her body language but not letting the girls go near her when I am not around. I have tried asking the old owner what her problems are but all I got was we thought she was over all that. As long as I stay positive when around her she will let me rug her, groom and clean out her feet. As the paddocks are so wet she has had no outside work for a while just out during the day and in at night with the others. My gut tells me she has been badly used at some point. As I have used a Dr Cook bitless bridle on a horse years ago who could not be ridden in a bit I think this may work for her. I have also just started her on steady up to see if this will help. I have had her lunging in a roller before all this rain and she went well, too well considering it was the first time or so I was told. the girls have lain over her back while I held her and she was fine. anyone any imput that may help.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »
We had similar problems with our young cob, he'd been treated very roughly in the past and had issues because of it.
Have you tried smearing molasses or similar on the bit? Might help her to accept it..... We also kept the head collar round his neck but didn't tie the rope to anything as he used to back up, panic and rear. Just had someone walking backwards with him. Also a very sticky, minty molasses lick did wonders  :thumbsup:

We had problems with getting a bridle on, picking up feet, putting on rugs and standing to be mounted. It just took time, patience and Positive but not rough handling. 18 months on and he is an absolute star, he has the odd moment when in a new situation but my daughter can now sit on a milk crate by his back legs while brushing his feathers. You can put his rugs on and off in the field and almost always stands to be mounted.

Hopefully with time and regular handling she'll come good, we had some moments with our lad when I thought he'd never improve but the change in him is truly amazing and we all love him dearly ( even my anti horse husband)

Just a thought....have you had her teeth checked? Might account for the biting problem

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 11:09:12 pm »
I did try putting stuff on the bit but still no go. I doubt very much if the dentist would get near her. She has no problems eating that I have seen but getting her teeth checked would be a good idea. she would have to be sedated. I  have been working on gaining her trust first. I have worked on a good few screwed up horses over the years so its nothing new, its just trying to work out how much is fear and off what or is she trying it on. We have Toto who will be 3 in the Spring. He came as a weaned foal and nothing bad has happened in his life so he is so trusting and willing to be with you. Makes me feel quite sad for Dolly. I will give her all the time she needs. I think maybe the old owners tried to break her and got it all wrong or she has been badly treated when in a stable. One of the things she does is toss her head at me when I pass her stable. I have tried talking or not talking to her but no difference. She is first at the gate every night now so things are moving on.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 11:27:51 am »
Theses welshies (even to she's a cross) can take some time for they're brain and body to meet int middle.   Give her time I'm sure she will give her your all.   If she were mine I would turn her away for a while, maybe practicing some join up work in the field, she sounds like she s yes a diva but also has some underlying fears and there fore giving out mixed messages.

She's lovely by the way, cracking laid back shoulder, very pretty x

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 11:37:34 am »
How is she getting on?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 04:40:00 pm »
Well I had the vet out to check her mouth. She had to be sedated. I had a chat with the vet and made it clear that if there was any chance of Dolly throwing herself about to leave her. We had a lady vet who listened to all I said and took her time.  She did manage to look in her mouth, not much wrong but did rasp a couple of ruff edges. The  vet thought the same as me, being most of Dolly's problems are in her head. I work with her most days, a bit of grooming, cleaning out her feet this has improved a lot, no longer kicks out when I try to do the back ones. She still made a fuss everytime I tried to put her bridle on so I came up with a plan. I put a piece of apple in the palm of my hand with the bit. So far this has worked twice. I made a big fuss of her. Wither she will do it gain I will have to see. I stay positive around her, use my voice if I am not pleased when she threatens me so bit by bit she is getting better. A long slow job but I am sure we will have a cracking pony one day.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:06 pm »
Have you heard of "confidence-eq"? Its similar to dap & feliway for dogs & cats. A pheromone thats produced by the mare to reassure foals. Its been out a few months in the UK and seems to give very good results in stressful situations or learning new things eg travelling, farrier etc. Several clients are using it with fairly unhandled youngsters. You just rub the gel on the nostril and wait 30 minutes. Maybe worth a try with Dolly?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »
Do I get this through my vet ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS