Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: working an (unshod) shetland pony to move firewood?  (Read 11543 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
working an (unshod) shetland pony to move firewood?
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »
Hi all,

I was planning to get my pony to tow logs for me once I'd got a suitable harness / rig -  I had imagined pulling the logs across the grass.

In reality it seems that all my logs are are in the steep craggy/boggy bits at the bottom of the valley and dragging them over such might be difficult; so I'm thinking that she might be better off carrying the logs (chopped smaller) with some sort of pack/pannier.

First question; As she's unshod can she work (either carrying or pulling) a load - bearing in mind that the soil here is soft and stony? Obviously she couldn't work 'full-time' - I was thinking just a bit on the weekend sort of thing.

Second question; how does one gauge a 'reasonable load' for a Shetland being used to carry loads up steep hills?

Third Qu; Where could I find some sort of carry pack/pannier (cheap) or is it feasible to make one (like a couple of builders trugs on a wide leather 'saddle').

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm not at all knowledgeable about working horses of any type, but feel that my (rather fat) pony would benefit from the work.

thx

Marcus

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: working an (unshod) shetland pony to move firewood?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »
Look at the Thordale Shetland stud site and look at their Klibbers and tack section, they sell them as well.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »
Thanks Hermit; now, I wonder if I can copy that...

marcus

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:55:38 pm »
If your pony is used to being barefoot on that terrain and isn't being worked for too long on hard ground ie with sharp stones, unshod shouldn't be a problem. My ponies have been unshod for years, and even when Smokey was being long reined / driven regularly on tarmac, his feet were fine.

I've got a klibber from Journeyman leather - the leather and the felt are good but the wood was pretty flimsy and snapped when the haynet Bug was carrying snagged on the gate. John's repairing it with more robust wood.

For Smokey, I use his driving saddle, which has rein terrets on it and bags / haynets can be hung from them. I've got two small bags made of the stuff builders sand and stuff comes in. If I get time tomorrow, I'll take a few pics and post them.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:19:44 am »
Well she should be used to the terrain by now.

I found the journeyman website after googling klibber (wonder if it's a shetland word?) following Hermit's post, but I think I can make something like that.

For Smokey, I use his driving saddle, which has rein terrets on it and bags / haynets can be hung from them.

hmm - I wonder if your driving saddle is like what I've got (I've got an old driving harness that I was going to use to pull logs, but it needs a couple of repairs). The bit that goes across the back with a girth strap  (saddle?) has rings for reins and a vertical brass bit in the middle; it is well padded but only a few inches wide - wouldn't that limit the weight she could comfortably carry?

I'll try and post a pic of what I've got...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:21:20 am by mab »

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:54:11 am »
Aha.. Is this a driving saddle?

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:51:47 am »
 :wave:  Hi

This may be stating the obvious, but I shall say it anyway  ;D   If she hasn't been long reined before & you decide to let her 'drag a load'  let her take a light load on fairly even ground first so she doesn't panic hitting a bump or two later, but once she get used to it she will probably enjoy working -  I have used our mini shetland to pull logs / branches before & once he'd finished, he would fly round the paddock like a loony & then prance about looking really pleased with himself for ages!   But I did long rein him for about a week before asking him, to pull anything.

Great idea... Good luck  :fc:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:51 am »
All our Dales and Fell  ponies work unshod - riding and pulling carriages, chain harrows etc.  Obviously we do not do too much on stoney ground until their hooves adjust, and this can take a good few months.  They go up some really rough, steep, packhorse tracks, and over the roughest rocks imaginable, as I said, riding and pulling a trap.  Up to now, none have suffered any lameness whatsoever.  Like I said, we do not do too much until they are used to it. 
A driving saddle, with hessian sacks fastened on to the terrets on the saddle are workable - though you may have to cut the sacks down or with a Shetland they would be dragging on the floor.
As with breaking to drive - before anything is carried  or pulled, you do need to make sure the pony will not panic by something either behind him or rustling on his sides - so I would make sure he is happy with that side of things before setting him to work.
So long as they are not pulling a dead weight, and it will slide across the grass behind him, once moving, even the smallest pony can pull a decent weight.  You will soon know if its too much ....when he stops and refuses to move!! ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:44:52 pm »
wev worked welshies and highlands, mainly with ropes/chains on the harness. when its heavy they want to stop or trot, so lifting up the wood slightly will make it easier and lessen the drag. we used to do it alot but then it was so time consuming it was quicker to use the car   ::) ::) . all were unshod.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:22 pm »
Thanks - I'm going to try the pack saddle rather than dragging stuff as all the wood in in an area too steep / rocky to drag - hoping I can just lead her once she's loaded up.

Also hoping the ground might dry a bit before I try so we don't decend the hill in a mudslide.  :raining:

Thanks

mab

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:47:19 pm »
thought u mite like these  :innocent:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »
Fab pictures, although I had visualised you as being younger than that........... :innocent:

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:02 pm »
Fab pictures, although I had visualised you as being younger than that........... :innocent:

oh yes, the camera adds a few inches and a few years  ;D ;D ;D :wave:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »
I'd love some of them basket things for our little fella, be real handy when I'm foraging for goat greenery. Although he'd probably turn himself inside out trying to eat what he was carrying  ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »
They have donkey panniers, wonder if they would fit a pony?  I collect goat greenery, and can usually be seen dragging a big hi fi sack full up the track ......only for it to be eaten in a couple of minutes :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS