Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seed orders for 2023  (Read 2723 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Seed orders for 2023
« on: December 17, 2022, 12:58:38 pm »
I've sent in my seed orders for my 2023 crops.  It's a great feeling to have everything ready to go, just the small matter of the rest of winter to get out of the way.  I was surprised that this early there are already some varieties which are sold out.
I got the bulk of my seeds from The Organic Gardening Catalogue this year.  I haven't bought much from them in recent years as so many of their organic varieties are from the continent, which don't do all that well here in Scotland for me.  This year though I am seeing far more UK origin varieties, which is great.
I also buy from Mr Fothergill because they have my favourite varieties of things like Tomatoes, Cucumbers and so on. I bought my seed potatoes from Jamieson Bros, as they are a local company without all the hype, and sell really good stock.
I bought some unusual beans and other seeds from www.beansandherbs.co.uk and this year for the first time I have saved some seeds from this year, Runner Bean Black Doulting which is great for growing outdoors in Scotland.  I tried to save Broad beans too but the mice ate the lot while they were still on the plants.

Has anyone else put in their seed order yet?  It gives me something to get me through the long gloomy winter nights, planning how and where I shall grow my crops this coming year  :garden: :yippee:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:03:57 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Seed orders for 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 04:42:30 pm »
Did mine weeks ago  :innocent:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 05:39:51 pm »

Same here.... either from Real Seeds or Tamar again this year. Won't buy from Organic Catalogue since they got taken over by Dobies.

Still making lists for my flower seeds though (Chiltern and maybe some Sarah Raven) and currently deciding which rose to get. Limiting myself to one per year... (though didn't get one last year, so may be able to get two... just to make up for it...)

Currently fiddling around with my planting plan for the year...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 10:27:51 pm »

Same here.... either from Real Seeds or Tamar again this year. Won't buy from Organic Catalogue since they got taken over by Dobies.

Still making lists for my flower seeds though (Chiltern and maybe some Sarah Raven) and currently deciding which rose to get. Limiting myself to one per year... (though didn't get one last year, so may be able to get two... just to make up for it...)

Currently fiddling around with my planting plan for the year...

I couldn't resist Rose Tottering by Gently last year.  It's a lovely pale yellow single flowered rose, named for a comic strip from the '30s, but so appropriate for me  :roflanim:

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 05:45:46 pm »
I did the bulk from seed megastore. Never again from them!  They say they’ve sent seeds and only actually send them once you’ve emailed and emailed chasing them. I’m still waiting for sends I ordered back in early nov!

I’m having a look for the I fancy giving it a go seeds from real seeds this time.

As I’ve added 2 green houses and 1/2 acre should be ready  for spring. I’m soooo excited (keep Christmas haha)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 03:13:34 pm »
Lots of magazines with free seeds just now!  Perfect either to keep or swap!  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 04:00:55 pm »
I did the bulk from seed megastore. Never again from them!  They say they’ve sent seeds and only actually send them once you’ve emailed and emailed chasing them. I’m still waiting for sends I ordered back in early nov!

I’m having a look for the I fancy giving it a go seeds from real seeds this time.

As I’ve added 2 green houses and 1/2 acre should be ready  for spring. I’m soooo excited (keep Christmas haha)

2 greenhouses and half an acre - wow!  There's me swithering about a brassica cage!

I've not heard of seed megastore and I won't bother finding them now! My seed order always costs a fair bit each year but I buy from companies I'm confident perform well and have varieties I know do well here on my icy hilltop.  This year I had enough seed stored from last year, half packets, that I didn't need to buy new of many things, just the expensive ones with hardly any seeds like tomatoes and cucumbers.

FIVE days to go until I can sow my onions seeds  :garden: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 08:49:51 am »
I did the bulk from seed megastore. Never again from them!

The price difference for things like seed is not significant enough to justify (IMO) going cheap... always trusted small-scale companies....

Also starting with 1/2 acre all in one go.... do you have help? The first couple of years of a new garden are the hardest (in my experience) and I have started to increase the number of beds only now that my children have left home and I have more time (no more school runs...) but even then it is definitely much less than 1/2 acre.

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 10:39:24 am »
I’d did 1/4 acre this year. Mostly potatoes tbh.

My daughter has complex allergies hence this life style. I have to up to keep her health right.
I’d rather slowly slowly grow.
I’ve gone from 4 ewes at the end of last year to 13 ewes,1 ram, 2 pain in the neck weathers a doe, buckling and weather goat for her dairy. I need to add a cow. But not set up enough for that.
I’m adding pigs in jan to start tilling the veg plot for me.

It’s what it is.

Seedmegastore seeds actually turned up this morning. Ordered at the bringing of November. Arrived this morning. Great hey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS