Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: humane injection for dog  (Read 2366 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
humane injection for dog
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:03 am »
I need to put our 12 year old Lab down.  Is there something I can purchase to do it myself at home? 

I think she will like doggie heaven.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: humane injection for dog
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:24 am »
I don't know about the USA but that is illegal in the UK. Amounts to animal cruelty.  Phone your vet and do it kindly and properly if you love your dog.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
The vet will come to your home and do it kinder than you can ever do. Even by injection the situation needs to be assesed for amount. I have seen dogs put to sleep that require double amoount and some that are just touched by the needle to send them away. Some you cannot find a vein in the leg for and have to resort to other areas of injection. Get the vet to come to you , I am sorry about your dog but you owe it to the dog to have it done properly.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:19:21 pm »
A very sad and sorry time for you. Ask the vet to do it, just be sure to stay with your dog until he's gone :(

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:51:26 pm »
I hope the 'need, is the dog's and not yours?
If it is the dog's you owe it to her to get a vet asap, and stay with her untill the very end. Keep the place calm and quiet for her to be at peace.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
I can understand why you want to do it at home, I had my cat PTS before Xmas and we did it in the lounge by a nice warm fire, but i must agree with everyone else, do get your Vet to it. They are very practiced at getting veins even collapsed ones.
My cat's veins were almost impossible to find so the vet gave him a sedative first and that relaxed him enough that Andy ( vet) could get his leg vein. The whole process was much more relaxed than taking him to the surgery and my cat was even purring! bless him, even though he was very sick and 17 years old.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »
We had two of our old cats pts at home by our vet. Both got stressed travelling and Homer very stressed by being handled. It was well done and very peaceful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS