Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 3713 times)

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
Hello...
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:08:11 pm »
Hi all,

1st posting on the forums here. I have been 'lurking' through members posts and printing/bookmarking useful info. all evening.

As a new member and new farmer {190 ewes, 4 tups}, I have much to learn, and I fear I will contribute more questions than answers in the months ahead, however I am looking forward to one day posting a useful answer/reply. ;D

Richard.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »
You are very welcome, Richard.  I (long with many others here), am in Clackmannan.  Where are you?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Hello
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:34:16 pm »
Hi there and welcome.

Hope your sheep are safe from snow drifts!

Beth

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »
Hi!  I am based in Perthshire, and at the moment we have avoided the snow drifts. We still have a bit less than a foot of snow on the ground from Christmas that is not melting anytime soon....

Thank you for welcoming me!

Richard.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:13 am »
Ah- I used to live near Kinross, so certain areas of Perthshire I know quite well. I think there's a few members from Perthshire as well.

Beth

sandy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:43:22 am »
Hello and Welcome for another Clackmannannannaner!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:19 am »
Welcome from an expat in Brittany (snowy here too)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:51:42 am »
Hello and welcome from a snowy North Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
Hi and welcome from sunny Alloa.

Wow! 190 ewes to start - I started with three! Sounds like fun. What kind are they?

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:30 am »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire - lots of snow still here too !  ;D

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »
Thank you all for making me so welcome.  As promised, I am about to post a question in the 'Sheep' forum, so watch out for what will no doubt be a 'silly question'.

After much deliberation we have gone with LLeyn sheep.  [Pronounciation changes depending on the weather].  We [the wife and kids and I] are currently feeding our sheep one large bale of haylage a day and a few sacks of sugarbeet to keep them going whilst they can't get through the snow. 

Other than the snow and the cold, it has been another beautiful sunny day here. Hope the temperature improves and the snow clears for everyone soon,

Richard.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:10:24 pm »
Gosh Richard i felt i'd gone in at the deep end with 21 ewes with 23 lambs at foot. what experience do you have and do you have a friendly expert. I found a lovely man at a local show who was showing the breed i have and he has been of so much help to us and always happy to give advice. in fact i've yet to meet a farmer who wasn't happy to share their knowledge. Hope your year goes well, people always ask me what i see in sheep but i must say i find them very rewarding, perhaps it's because they're hard work and when you put a lot in you get a lot out. good luck, Helen

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:05 am »
I've got 2 sheep, they are harder work than all the pigs.  I admire anyone who can keep large herds of sheep well.

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:05 am »
Yes - I think we have gone in at the 'deep end' a bit.

My background is as a Business and IT teacher, and my wife, whilst having a Masters and Biology Degree is full time mum to our three children.  I am now doing teacher supply work, and between us we are managing although I fear lambing make put a strain on things.

Together we have read more books on sheep farming than I thought possible, and have taken advice from quite a number of our neighbouring farmers - all of whom have been supportive and encouraging - ( if a bit surprised at our decision to go in to sheep!).  Google is a useful backup, if only to point us in the direction of a site (like this one) where someone will have an answer to our questions. I have to say, I have found this site the most helpful and welcoming. Thank you all.

So far so good.  We did lose one sheep before Christmas - cause unkown, and we are now trying to keep our flock in good health during this poor weather. 

At the moment we do not even have a barn, but am considering a polytunnel - certainly would help during lambing season...!

Richard.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 04:04:57 pm »
Hello Richard,

another welcome from Lanarkshire (North Lanarkshire this time).  I replied to your question about turnover crates without realising you were a new member.

I've got 44 sheep, a mixture of Hebrideans & Soays, with a tup for each flock.  Only about 22 are breeding ewes, the others are either last year's lambs or older sheep.  Being "primitive breeds", the lambs are slow growing & don't go for slaughter until their second year (as Hogget rather than Lamb).  On the other hand, they are fairly low maintenance & not difficult to look after.

This means I really have four flocks - breeding Hebrideans, breeding Soays, last year's girls & the old ewes, and the boys field.  Last year I left the boys intact, as an experiment, and so far it has been successful.  They live together as a group & don't fight, although there is definitely a hierarchy within the group.  I haven't finally made my mind up about what to do with this coming year's lambs.

Cheers,

John

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS