Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RSPCA People's Choice Supermarket  (Read 8455 times)

RSPCA

• Joined Aug 2009
RSPCA People's Choice Supermarket
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:52:46 am »
Hi all,

I’m working on behalf of the RSPCA to help encourage supermarkets to do more for animal welfare and I think many of you here on accidentalsmallholder.net may be interested in helping.

For the first time ever, the RSPCA Good Business Awards is open to the public through the People’s Choice Supermarket award which means that you can vote for the supermarket you think is doing the most for animal welfare.

The RSPCA has short-listed three stores that have achieved the highest welfare standards in the past year, and now we’d like the public to pick a winner. Three supermarkets have made it through to the shortlist – Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s and the Co-operative. Further information on each of their achievements is available at http://bit.ly/rspcavote, where you can also vote.

By casting a vote, you will be encouraging all supermarkets to follow suit and raise their standards. So a vote for your favourite is really a vote on behalf of farm animals everywhere (they’ve not quite got the hang of online voting yet).

Voting closes on September 11th, and the winner will be announced in October.

I hope I have posted in the most appropriate section. Please do let me know if you would like me to move the post.

Thanks for your help, and please remember to vote at http://bit.ly/rspcavote.

Stefan, on behalf of RSPCA

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: RSPCA People's Choice Supermarket
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:08 pm »
This is a truly excellent idea, and well worth the 2 minutes it takes to vote. It's great to see an organisation like the RSPCA coming up with an iniative like this. Guaranteed that the supermarkets that don't win will re-double their efforts. After all there's nothing like a bit of good publicity.

Morgan

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:33:31 pm »
Agree

Plus the major ones we have the main problems with are not in the three to vote for.

Julie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:36:27 pm »
Is the RSPCA going to start supporting pedigree dogs and Crufts again then?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:16:32 pm »
sorry RSPCA
i know yor intentions are genuine, but since the introduction of freedom foods i have lost what little respect i had for the rspca

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:41:34 am »
I look at 'freedom foods' as a starting point for the RSPCA, and not an end point. Just hoping that we can get things moved forward, as far away from factory farming, and as close to natural rearing as we can. I would love to see a massive push towards the ending of gm ingredients in animal food too.

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:01:47 am »
sorry RSPCA
i know yor intentions are genuine, but since the introduction of freedom foods i have lost what little respect i had for the rspca

I tend to agree and wouldn't vote for any of them!
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:19 am »
It's a bit like asking someone to vote for the most humane terrorist.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:49:16 am »
Is the RSPCA going to start supporting pedigree dogs and Crufts again then?

What I said there was to try to get a response -  have lost faith in them too.  However, the SSPCA is a totally different kettle of fish.  They are rooted in reality and do a  great job.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:40 am »
It's a bit like asking someone to vote for the most humane terrorist.

Yep
love that!!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:27 am »
freedom foods may have been a starting point, but it is badly managed with not enough inspectors. The rspca run more like a business now than a charity.

http://news.five.tv/news.php?page=2&news=1568

http://news.five.tv/news.php?news=639

http://www.hillside.org.uk/skypage.htm

Please do not watch if you have a delicated disposition

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 01:48:53 pm »
God, these are awful. I couldn't watch them right through, I found them so distressing.

Do farmers pay for Freedom Food certification? Is there not a conflict of interest between being the certifying and the inspecting body?

Anyone involved in this should hang their heads in shame.

Re SSPCA, last year a grazier rented land at our livery yard. Many people reported the condition of the sheep - our yard owner shot nine when he came back from holiday, they were in such a state. Another local farmer took the ones with fly strike to her farm to treat them. When we reported it (and we weren't the first by a long way) we were told they were trying to put together a case. They couldn't have been trying very hard. Actually, we shoudl follow that up and see what happened ie if there was any prosecution.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 03:19:33 pm »
I lost any respect for the RSPCA way back in the 80's after they ran the Pile of dead dog's newspaper ad's. Personally, I think it's time for the Queen to revoke her royal patronage.
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
The RSPCA as an organisation, are far more concerned with political lobbying than with animal welfare.

They call the people who work for them officers and then dress them as similarly as  police officers as possible in order to brow beat and bluster people when in reality, they have no more powers than you and I.

I never donate to this charity and give money to the PDSA instead.

When it comes to animal welfare, they have more skeletons in their closet than our local undertakers.

The original RSPCA were a fine organisation but they have long since been infiltrated by and then taken over by animal activists.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:31:32 pm by Over the Gate »

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 04:59:41 pm »
Holy crap 100 million in public donations, and this is still going on. Looks like I was a sucker, like most of the supermarket going public. These farms shouldn't be suspended they should be permanently removed from 'freedom food' label, the owners should also be prosecuted and permanently banned from keeping animals. I unreservedly withdraw my earlier comments.

Morgan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS