Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP  (Read 4336 times)

GARDEN

• Joined Jun 2009
PLEASE HELP
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »
Hi,
Im very new to this and never been on a forum before, please bear with me!!!!

Ive got the oppotunity to rent 13 acres with polytunnels and glasshouses.
I comefrom a landscaping background and I am horticulturally trained with my own landscaping business.

Obviously I want to utilise the Tunnels by growing Veg, Bedding plants etc.
With the land I want to grow 1 acre of Xmas trees for harvest in years to come.
I also have a logging business which I want to locate to this land as well.

I am considering perhaps creating a one stop shop for the Smallholder as currently the land sits on a Nursery site.

Has anyone any good ideas how I can turn this land and Tunnels into a possible successful business???

I thank you for your time and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:07:29 pm »
Ok really basic question here
Is their a need for the items near by?

(oh and welcome to the forum)

Linz

GARDEN

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:13:55 pm »
Yes I think so, I live in a rural area, have a good business but I want to progress.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:15:53 pm »
Do you have any competitures ?

GARDEN

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »
Not reference smallholding no.
Obviously we do with the landscaping and Logging Business

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:08:47 am »
Trawl through all the smallholder suppliers and see what they offer, and also look for a gap in the market.  Here (France) none of our local farm suppliers stocked pig food, we eventually managed to organise a regular supply which is now utilised by several other pig keepers.

Certainly worth asking around to see what smallholding animals are kept in your area, you may then find a local need for curing salt or ear tags or anti fly strike stuff for sheep. 

GARDEN

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 12:49:18 pm »
thanx hilarysmum for the advice, any other good ideas how i can utilise the land??

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
Hi and welcome. Where abouts are you?

GARDEN

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »
Hi im in Oxfordshire.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:20:52 am »
I'm for pigs and chickens with a few ducks thrown in if its boggy land.  Go on to Accidental Smallholder home and look at what Rosemary and Dan have achieved, loads of great ideas there.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »
I think the possibillities are endless. a bit of basic research will stop you entering any areas that are already covered in your region, and also uncover ones which are not. Get a couple of the smallholding mags and see what you think. I would wonder why the land is available, and maybe not viable as a garden center or nurserey, previously. What is the passing trade like? ie smallholders merchant, fresh veg, fruit, plants and shrubs, feedstuff, landscaping and supplies, tearoom, fresh eggs and local produce. tree surgery and firewood go together. turkeys and geese to go with the xmas trees. free range pork. bees for honey. fruit for preserves.
I am trying to find a niche for myself at the moment, which fits in with other commitments and what is practical on my patch of land.
Good luck.

GARDEN

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 04:58:11 pm »
Thanx for that advice Carl really appreciate that. Have you already got land etc?
I appreciate all the advice given from everyone. THANK YOU

Kerryw

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:17:07 pm »
We are in Perthshire and have some potted trees - Norway Spruce, Alberta Spruce, Blue Spruce - to offload if you are interested.

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 10:35:41 am »

Sounds like an amazing opportunity and loads of ideas from everyone so far!

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I assume the leasing agreement will be a long-term one? You don't want to put loads of work in and just get it off the ground when your lease is about to end!!

I think the main thing is to be as flexible as possible and keep as many different things going as possible - for example chicken keeping is very popular at the moment but it doesn't take much for the fad to fizzle out and to loose a segment of your customers. Although you intend to focus on smallholders - 'backyard' animal keeping, veggie growing etc is very popular right now so you could maybe tap into that!

Depending on your financing position and considering competition with your landscaping business how about an equipment hiring center specific to smallholdings i.e. mini-tractors, post borers, etc?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 11:59:45 am »
This is the sort of business I have considered going into - its ok, I am miles away from you, if I ever do it!!!

We are short of smallholder supplies places round here, and the agricultural merchants only stock basic things, and then not many of them.  On my travels (I go all over the place showing horses)  I have seen a lot of farm shops, selling fruit veg and the like, and incorporating a tea shop, cafe etc.  and they all seem to be very busy at weekends.  Farm gate selling seems very popular.  On the other hand, I was talking to a man who has a garden nursery in a rural area, and he said he was struggling with the credit crunch, and it was only his livestock, sheep and cows, that helped him keep going.

Christmas trees - a lot jumped on this bandwagon thinking it was a good idea.  My OH works as a farm manager, and last year he planted  thousands in two hill fields.  They had a flock of shropshire sheep which supposedly are the only ones not to eat these trees - to keep the grass round the trees down - although I was not convinced.  Anyway, only two ewes left now, as they ate the trees, and most died of liver desease.  Also some deer got in, and helped themselves too, but lived to tell the tale.  Trees have recovered, but my OH is now lifting and potting them to be sold on. 

Apparantly, whoever sold the trees in the first place say they will buy back when bigger, so maybe there is money to be made there, if you can keep deer etc away!!

I do think what you are wanting to do is a good idea, but maybe start off with a few things, and see how it goes.  You can of course add to it, or get rid of anything not selling.

I wish you luck and hope your venture is successful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS