Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi from cornwall,  (Read 4356 times)

deepinthewoods

hi from cornwall,
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:39:34 pm »
hi ive enjoyed browsing your friendly site and thought id join up to hopefully learn and offer. ive recently leased a very neglected little house that came with 2 acres of very neglected, indeed nigh on invaded land, full of hazel, ash and laurel with trunks a foot thick, bordering 100acres of 300yr old established unkept woodland. perfect! ive a young daughter, one young lurcher, one young maran cockerel whos just finding his voice, a few rir hens and a few more due, 2 hard working rescue'd cats and fish, newts and frogs in the ponds.ive been growing veg for about 6yrs on and off and am mainly self sufficient for veg in season. weve had a very hard winter here, probably due to my isolated position, we had -12 regularly  and 16 inches of snow for a month, unheard of in cornwall.
 between sharpening my chainsaw to chop down more laurel im slowly restoring the house to a liveable standard and adressing outbuilding and drainage issues, im on clay, we forage loads, the ransoms are up just and i pickle or salt everything i can, u cant beat salted runners! thanks for all the advice so far.d

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: hi from cornwall,
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »
Hi welcome, sounds like an interesting life with plenty to keep you occupied.  Have you considered pigs?  They would be useful for clearing.  Our Hilary is well known for her tree culling preclivities. 

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »
Welcome from Cornwall too Helston area, where abouts are you? There's lots of friendly people on here. :wave:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:04:07 pm »
hi all, im near zelah and yep ive been a pig fan ever since hereford market as a boy, ive looked into it a bit re herd number etc but need to get a sturdy fence up first, im planning on using the stripped laurel. ideally id get the pigs in first to allow me to get thro the brush to put the fence up but gather it doesnt work that way round! ill trawl the pig section as i get closer. spring has definitely sprung here but weve more frost forecast and im sure to get it so am stil doing winter work whilst i wait. my main problem is getting the light back in, its soooo overgrown, it does mean loads of firewood tho! d

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »
Hi and welcome from sunny Carnoustie  :wave:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:35:06 pm »
thank you, and heres me bemoaning -12 well done for getting thro this winter to all up in the north!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:11 pm »
Hi, Welcome to the forum  :D
We're also in Cornwall, north west of Helston. We have 4 acres, south facing slope of a hill - we have some ex-batt hens, 2 dogs and currently have 3 GOS x OSB weaners who are having a rare old time discovering our cornish hedge  ;D
Sounds like you know what you're doing!
Tish

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:06 pm »
lol i wish, im on a steep learning curve! this really is the start of a 5 yr project, all considered we're doing ok but trying to motivate a 10 yr old girl to put in fence posts isnt easy, any tips greatfully accepted. shes great at eating strawberies mind!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »
 :wave: hello from South Yorkshire :D
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:20 pm »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

chrispy4949

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:09:51 am »
Hi and welcome from Bulgaria.     :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 11:04:15 am »
Hi there - sound like you have a lot on, but are enjoying it :)

Welcome form Sue on the Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders, so probably not far from where you were from :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

deepinthewoods

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:40:44 pm »
hi all! and thanks for the welcome.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS