Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from the Scottish Borders - wanted work experience for my daughter!  (Read 3163 times)

ThePitts

• Joined Oct 2013
Hi All.
 I am a mother of a daughter who is nearly 16 and is passionate about everything to do with livestock farming and smallholding,  be it the hens she and her brother got for Christmas three years ago, the menagerie of rabbits, guinea pigs, dogs, cats.  The highland and Icelandic ponies she has helped with since she was 11 years of age and now a fascination with sheep!  Ele is studying on a distance learning course in Sheep husbandry and is hoping to go to Borders College initially, however it would be great for her to get some experience on a working farm.   We live in the Scottish Borders and we are not an agricultural family, not anymore anyway.  My father kept pigs and hens when he was younger and also worked in a nursery and had a huge allotment, I am the one carrying on the love of growing your own!  My daughter would love the opportunity to gain experience on a working farm especially a sheep farm.  Ele is in fifth year and is applying to do an access course either in agriculture or animal care.  If anybody in the Scottish Borders would be able to offer my daughter a little work experience over the next year we would love to hear from you!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:17:10 pm by ThePitts »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Good Morning
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 12:12:27 pm »
Hello and welcome :wave: We're in Carnoustie so can't help but I do hope someone on here will - we have a few folk in the Borders  :fc:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:23:53 pm »
Wrong area being in Aberdeenshire, but just wanted to say a big thumbs up to her!

I've had lassies wanting to be vets coming along to try stuff here, altho they have part time jobs at vets the insurance stuff means they basically can't do anything just watch and answer questions, whereas here they got to try hand shearing, handling the sheep and doing actual stuff!

ThePitts

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:07:14 pm »
Thanks to those of you who have replied so far.  I am pretty ignorant about smallholding and farming but really would like Eleanor to pursue her passion in life! 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Hi and welcome, I am in the borders too. Only have 5 ewes and a tup at the moment so probably not much use to you, which part of the borders are you in?
Just noticed that you are in Melrose, I am across in Reston and would be happy to show your daughter my small holding.
Tiva Diva is just outside Gala and Goosepimple is at Lauder
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:22:21 pm by Daisys Mum »
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire. Hope your daughter manages to get some work experience.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Hi, we are about 40 minutes from you, near Yetholm, I don't know if that would be too far?  I am sure we could organise something!

ThePitts

• Joined Oct 2013
Hi and thanks for your reply.  We have visited a smallholding in Lauder today which was very inspiring and we would love to visit more in the locality.  What do you keep on your smallholding we are keen to visit as many as possible and see if Eleanor could help out occasionally for work experience and to gain more knowledge of how a small holding is managed. 

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Hi there
As a Border lass myself, though now in the frozen north, maybe I can help.
I spent many lambing seasons at Andrew Morgan's, Sunnyside Farm, Auchencrow, so not far at all from Reston.
I still think he's the best lambing setup I ever saw, and having taken me on to help at weekends and holidays for lambing from 13, he may well be happy to take your daughter.
I can't remember his phone number offhand, but his wife does the Riding for the Disabled, so may be not too hard to find.
Worth asking anyway
:)
Suzanne

ThePitts

• Joined Oct 2013
Thank you.  We will contact him he might be able to offer something.  I have found his details.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS