Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large Black Sows  (Read 3643 times)

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Large Black Sows
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:42:49 am »
Hi All,

Very sad question. I am struggling in this weather with my new baby and my beloved pigs. I think we just need a break.

Two of my pedigree LB sows I would like to try and sell/ rehome. They are a Sept 2012 Black lady litter. Each has had one litter last year but sadly my young boar seems to have become unfertile (another reason I'm having to stop) so they missed out this year. Lovely girls. One has a slightly wonky foot due to an injury at birth but it has never caused her problems. I am not looking to make money on them.

Do you think anyone would be interested at this age?

Rebecca

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Large Black Sows
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:45:32 am »
It would help folk if you said where you are.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:49:47 am »
Oops yes sorry. I'm near Ashford, Kent  :fc:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 12:14:07 pm »
Have you contacted the breed society?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:59:51 pm »
If you weren't so far away from me I would have bought them. If you are on Facebook, there is a Large Black Pigs UK group, and the Large Black Pig Club page. I do think you need to be asking something for them, though.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:03:35 pm »
If you aren't on Facebook but wanted to write out a wee advert, I could put it on those pages for you.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:50:22 pm »
Thanks guys. I will get in touch with the breed society as I recall I am a member! Will also scout facebook. I won't give them away just don't want to be asking too much. What does anyone think is a fair ball park number?  :pig:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »
Are you a member of the Large Black Pig Club? If you are, there is a newsletter about to go to print, which they could go in, but you'd probably need to let Janice know what you wanted to write tonight (I could forward this for you if that would help). I think you should be looking for at least £150 as this is what you could get for a cull sow, and if someone can't pay that, then realistically they aren't going to be in a position to deal with things like any unexpected vet's bills and so on. Good luck, I know what it is like dealing with animals and small humans x

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »
Are you a member of the Large Black Pig Club? If you are, there is a newsletter about to go to print, which they could go in, but you'd probably need to let Janice know what you wanted to write tonight (I could forward this for you if that would help). I think you should be looking for at least £150 as this is what you could get for a cull sow, and if someone can't pay that, then realistically they aren't going to be in a position to deal with things like any unexpected vet's bills and so on. Good luck, I know what it is like dealing with animals and small humans x

Where can you get £150 for a cull sow?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:53 pm »

Indeed. I saw someone quoted 30p/kg recently which would make even a 300kg mega sow only worth 90 quid.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:21 pm »
I'm in the Scottish Borders. It's what I can get just now.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 09:00:17 am »

Indeed. I saw someone quoted 30p/kg recently which would make even a 300kg mega sow only worth 90 quid.

Certainly south of the border that is more like it!

Maybe I should head north with my cull sows.

That is very good Mowhaugh. Someone must have a profitable job for them.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:40 am »
The abattoir were quoting 80p per kilo for cull sows last time I asked (also Scotland). Not sure what Cheales are paying currently though - maybe prices have dropped off? It's all about supply and demand I'd guess, but I'd certainly pay £150 for a sow (if I needed one, which I don't  ;))
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:21:21 am by HappyHippy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS