Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Morning from Dorset  (Read 2514 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Morning from Dorset
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:07:29 am »
Hi all,

We are NOT smallholders yet.  But hopefully this year or next Me, Hubby and our two small children (Boy5 & Girl 3) will be looking to buy a smallholding with at least 5-10+ acres in Dorset.

We have been on many animal management courses and I think I own every book published on the subject.  We are just desperate to get stuck in now.

We plan on keeping a small amount of every animal, mainly with the aim of self-sufficiency rather than any profit.  But if we have an excess of anything, be it meat or veg, it would be nice to do some garden gate sales or in the very distant future, possibly a weekly market stall.

We just dream of milking our own house cow, curing our own meat and growing our own veg in a poly-tunnel.  We would like enough land to be able to grow a small amount of animal feeds & hay to cut down on the amount of days hubby would need to go out to work (Self employed Electrician / Builder).  So think we need in the very least 5-10 acres, although I would like as much I can get my hands on  :farmer:

It looks like this forum is pretty busy so I look forward to reading through all the posts and getting to know you all.
Lv Steph xx

Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Morning from Dorset
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:32:40 am »
We have been doing it for 16 months now and love it.....to have home cured bacon, on homemade bread, with homemade ketchup, or a complete meal that you have grown from scratch is the most amazing feeling.  It has alot of pitfalls and is very hard work but worth the effort.  Good luck, I look forward to reading your adventures

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:33 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »
Hello and welcome from Derbyshire, good luck in your holding-hunting!
Little Blue

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
hello welcome from fife

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Sounds like a great plan you have- I worry about people when they give up work straight away to plunge into smallholding life with no way of paying bills, but a self employed sparky, thats a good way round still bringing in some money.

Beth

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:48:32 am »
Hi and welcome; good luck with finding the perfect piece of land, hope it happens really soon.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:42:06 am »
Hi Steph, we are just over the border in somerset, on the  Dorset/ somerset when the time comes you can get so much info etc on here, these guys are amazing, check out the facebook page as well.........blimey we cant get away from each other!!!lol  :D :D :D :D :D :D

juliag

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:24 am »
Hello and welcome from me in South Lanarkshire  ;D
You certainly sound like you've done your homework ;) I hope you manage to find somewhere to let you put all your skills to work and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:12 am »
Hi and welcome!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS