Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fussy Bitch!!!  (Read 4930 times)

Sandy

Fussy Bitch!!!
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:59 am »
Our Labrador who is 3 years old, had a litter of 7 pups 2 weeks ago today and she is sooo fussy what she eats, about a week before she had them I was having to give her stuff to temp her but she was eating her puppy food, then, she refused point blank to eat it so I had to mash it up soaked in liquidised chicken that was cooked, otherwise she would just pick the meat out, then she refused any thing with the puppy food in. I eventualy found a way of getting her to eat other things rather than just meat, I bought some cheap chicken slices and made parcels with the puppy food in and that has worked BUT, she only eats if I put things into her mouth, I am h and feeding her. I tried Goats milk and she did not touch that, I leave food out for her and she will not touch that, so now, I make one of her meals porrage made with goats milk and she loves that but again, will only eat it if I start off hand feeding her, the other night she even dropped a bit of chicken out of her mouth until I coaked her otherwise. She is not thin and actualy looks well and is loving her pups, so, has anyone else had this sort of problem and how can I get her back to just dog food on its own? Oh, she does eat a few of those markies dog treats, but only one or two!!!!!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Fussy Bitch!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:40:05 am »
I was told never to hand feed my dog as it gives them the illusion (?) of control. I can't imagine that she'll starve herself to death unless she is physically unwell. Put her food down and leave her to get on with it. She'll eat it eventually.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:34 pm »
im with rosemary on this one, leave her to it she will eat when she is hungry,  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »
Not sure whats going on as I thought I responded, never mind, I will give it a go now the pups are 2 weeks old and chubby!!!!! I have just written another post and lost it! Strange things are going on!!!!! I never thought about Islay being dominant, I thought the reverse as she is very delicate, If I tell her off (never really have to) or raise my voice, she cowls down!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:47:46 pm »
the only problem you have i think is the puppies, you have to make sure she is eating enough for them,its a tough call while she has her babies, did she only start this eating thing when she was in pup?? or has it been a lifetime struggle with food??  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:12:34 pm »
Only the last few weeks, although she cannot tollerate cows milk products, otherwise, she has eaten normal dog dry all in one food. The last time she had pups she was similar for a start but then ate ravenously everything and all the bits of puppy food they left!!! Now, not too sure if to  keep hand feeding her or leave her as in another week they will begin weaning so then it dose not matter too much!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »
i would just leave her to it, since its just a mother fad thing, she will get her appetite back I'm sure, doganjo may be able to help a wee bit more  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »
I'm not sure its because we have 2 other females and she feels off her guard eating, even though they are outside and she is in with her pups, I suspect thats why me feeding her is different as she is not having to look in her bowl for food although she loves porrage made with goats milk!!that she will eat out of her bowl!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »
Never heard of this before. I would have thought that if left in the end hunger would make her eat. Has she been well in herself after giving birth, have you had a chat to your vet to see what he thinks. It could be she does not feel safe knowing the other dogs are about even if they cannot get to her and the pups. With pack animals one stays on guard while the others eat so maybe she feels the need just to have you there .

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:33:02 pm »
I think that if she eats some things ravenously like the markies or porridge for instance then there is nothing wrong with her ability to eat. Therefore, if she looks ok then don't coax her or hand feed her and don't even leave food down for her. Feed her at set times. If she doesn't eat, then take it away and put it down next meal.
Don't stress about it either as she will pick up on that feeling and it will put her off even more.
Hope that helps.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:59:30 pm »
I recon its a safety thing too, this time we have 2 bitches around. I was wondering if porrage is OK for her as she loves that, I am using goats milk, she had a lot this morning then not long ago had some chicken bits and some kibble and just was sick, so, will she be OK to have just porrage for a day or so? I shall talk to the vet tomorrow but she looks chubby and shinny and the p ups look well too!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS