Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How late can you transport pregnant ewes?  (Read 4200 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
How late can you transport pregnant ewes?
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:40:15 am »
Hi guys, I have a lady due to pick up a starter flock including four ewes all due twins. First is due on 10th April. She was to collect this week but circumstances have contrived against her (Failed MOT and death in the family). She has a farmer friend who has offered to collect next weekend 15th-17th but my gut feeling is that this is a bit close for comfort. The breed are Gotland and are pretty laid back as a rule. It's also their second lambing so no first timers. What do you think? I've offered to take them myself for the cost of the diesel.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: How late can you transport pregnant ewes?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:17 am »
  From the transport regulations
 :)

·      Pregnant female animals will not be considered fit for transport if they have reached the latest stage of gestation (within 10% of the estimated time of the gestation before birth) and for a period of one week after giving birth

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:33 am »
Thanks Rosemary. What's the Russian looking writing at the top mean?!
Meant to add the journey is a good four hour one.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »
It's a shame they are having to face such a long journey so late in their pregnancies in any case  :(

I would certainly aim to get them moved before they are in the last month - is there any reason she hasn't bitten your arm off at your offer?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »
So with sheep 10% would be 15 days before lambing working to 150 days gestation.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS