Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spuds - what you growing and are you eating them yet?  (Read 3458 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
Spuds - what you growing and are you eating them yet?
« on: July 09, 2023, 07:51:24 pm »
I ordered several packs last year, Swift, Jazzy, Accoustic, Ratte, Kestrel & Maris Piper.

Now, the Swift went in pots and we've really enjoyed them!

The Kestrel, pots, edge of IBC and the main bed. We've eaten the pots and the ones out of the IBC, will DEFINITELY grow them again! Really scrummy spuds!

Ratte? They went in the IBC beds, one down, one to go! The only consolation is mint and butter. To me they are bland, whether steamed or boiled.

Never tried Accoustic, so that will be interesting, love Jazzy, to me nicer than Charlotte, Maris Piper one of my absolute favourites.

Still wish I could get Rudolphs, haven't been able to for a couple of years.
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Spuds - what you growing and are you eating them yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 05:15:19 am »
Caledonian Rose - was sent it as a substitute for Rooster a couple of years ago. Great tattie.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 03:20:30 pm »
Volunteer  :innocent: and kitchen cupboard  :innocent:- pulled up the Volunteer ones and they're brilliant. Problem is I can't remember what supermarket they came from. Probably Morrisons  :excited: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 06:28:20 pm »
We have Agata earlies which we started lifting at 60 days, so 6 weeks ago. Make good chips.

Spunta second earlies are now ready to lift at 90 days. They are OK for chips because we've grown them before. Only bought them again because we were late buying and there were no more Desiree left, which do make the best chips of the varieties we have tried so far.

The shops don't sell main crpp here, presumably because it is too hot and dry in Summer. Met a chap on the plane  who had tried UK main crop and he said he needed a pickaxe to get them out and they were already cooked!

You may have guessed we eat a lot of chips.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 08:36:01 pm »
Dad likes Cara, me not so much. Really disappointed re Ratte! Apparently there is a variety called Lumpers, I may consider that for next year. I know it's a waste to grow spuds (been told so many times) but home grown are smashing compared to shop bought. (Shop bought Rudolphs though were really nice!)

Dad also says he grows what suits his ground, soil, whereas mine are raised beds and compost, (Shop bought) and Mary's donations!
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 08:56:50 pm »
 3 varieties , Rocket, Charlotte,and Linzer Delikatess. Only plant about 10 tubers of each, eating the latter for the last two weeks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 12:17:43 am »
Caledonian Rose - was sent it as a substitute for Rooster a couple of years ago. Great tattie.

I discovered that 'Tatties' is the word for  :poo: :poo: :poo: in one of the languages of the Indian subcontinent. Mmm!

I suppose many words are rude somewhere!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 12:46:32 pm »
Planted mine late, busy getting overgrown bed weeded, goats kidding and sheep lambing, so not dug yet.
Charlotte is popular round here, it tastes good, but I find not a heavy crop, Swift we like, I think it was Rocket  (very early?) we tried  and thought tasteless, tried Jazzy last year, liked it, saved some to replant but got them mixed up in a bin.  :( .
Got quite a few volunteers, we call them rogues, because they are always where they shouldn't be   ;D
Desiree have a very good crop, and good taste. And good old King Edward.
If you have harvested your 1st earlies, or have some seed potatoes left, you could grow some in a tub  for Christmas?

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 01:19:30 pm »
Volunteer? Never heard of that variety and 2nd time mentioned, so I googled.

I call them selfsets.

Also have a few of them lurking, most we've eaten, some I binned as they didn't want to scrape, so I peeled them, but didn't like the look, they seemed translucent.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 01:32:13 pm »
We have found that the flavour of the potato depends on the soil it is grown in. We used to grow Arran Pilot first earlies in a sandy soil. Really good flavour and firm texture. But when we moved to Somerset, and grew them in our heavy clay, they were floury and tasteless. Adding lots of manure to the soil made little difference.

Lady Christl does well here. :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS