Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile slaughterman  (Read 22735 times)

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
Mobile slaughterman
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:39:01 pm »
Evening everyone  :wave: .
Do any of you good people know a mobile slaughterman who works within the Midlands.
I am located in Solihull near to Birmingham airport.
I have both lambs  :sheep:  and pigs  :pig: each year and intested to see if anyone can do they kill and cut for me on the holding rather than being sent away.
I welcome your knowledge and experience.
Thank you and keep warm. :fc:

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Re: Mobile slaughterman
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »
You will be sadly disappointed I'm afraid. Its unlawful to use a slaughterman to kill and dress his animal as the slaughterman would then be supplying goods in the course of his business. Plus they have to be slaughtered in an approved premises otherwise the slaughter and any sale of the offence, including back to you is an offence. Refer to points 26 and 27 in particular.
You can send the animals away for slaughter then get someone to come and butcher them at your home but I think they are still only for your own consumption.
http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/home-slaughter-livestock/livestockguidance/homekillguide.pdf

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »
i dont think that applies if its is solely for you and your fsamilys own consumption

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:15:36 pm »
We only produce the meat for our own use and do not sell any on.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »
I was under the impression you could, if only for your own consumption have the sheep killed by someone else OR cut by someone else. The someone else can't do both parts as then only s/he can do the eating.
But bear in mind I have been trying to decipher this for YEARS and may well still be very wrong ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »
yes thats it, he can kill but not cut.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:15 pm »
We only produce the meat for our own use and do not sell any on.

The only legal way to eat your own meat is to slaughter it yourself. YOU have to own it, YOU have to slaughter it and only YOU can eat it. Otherwise it has to go to the abattoir.

Sorry.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:32:38 pm »
my last client had a lamb shot and gutted on his drive a few weeks ago, all legal. the slaughterman took the carcass away to a cutting plant to be butchered. it was all legal.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »
If you kill it yourself you can butcher it and eat it yourself or within your family. Otherwise it has to go to a slaughterhouse. A slaughterman cant come to kill it regardless of whether he butchers it or not because as soon as he kills it he is supplying you goods and that is classed as putting it on the market which is illegal so it has to be done in an approved place. Ring trading standards who will clarify it. They can be very helpful for enquiries of this nature. However if you are caught not complying with them they are the biggest b******s known to man.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »
my last client had a lamb shot and gutted on his drive a few weeks ago, all legal. the slaughterman took the carcass away to a cutting plant to be butchered. it was all legal.

I beg to differ. That is actually illegal if it was butchered.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:40:08 pm by moony »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »
im sorry but you are wrong. there are at least 2 mobile slaughtermen operating legally here in cornwall, it is not illegal. i can provide links by pm to the people who run these brilliant buisnesses

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:27 pm »
If they kill them at an unlicensed premises and butcher them then the slaughter is an illegal offence as is the subsequent sale of meat unless the law has changed in the last 6 months. Only way its legal is if they have an approved mobile slaughter facility. Ring trading standards and ask them if you want. They would have a field day with them.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/advice-business-ahcattlesum2.cfm

I only know this is I know somebody who has fallen foul of the trading standards folk  They now get reinspected all the time and if they do it again they wont get off with the half hour lecture regarding blood being a byproduct that must be collected by a licensed waste carrier etc etc etc
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:56:28 pm by moony »

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
I seem to remember a TV show that had a mobile slaughter man showing how it was done.  The vehicle had been made into the licensed premises, so he could legally kill animals at the farm itself.

It was a couple of years ago and may have been a trial in one county.  I do remember that kitting the vehicle out cost £100,000 ish to be able to do it.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »
they have a chiller van set up for hanging, like a butchers delivery van. they come to your holding , kill, gut and skin, remove carcass to processing plant, butcher, treat the hide (if you want) joint the meat and bring it back to you.
AS LONG as the meat does not enter the 'market' and is not sold in any way, and is for your own consuption, it is entirely legal and was approved at appeal in 2003

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Lh_HynFWm1UJ:www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/privatekillguidance2006.pdf+food.gov.uk/privatekill&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShqdnlcEweRBZzybG0MMGGSeBFtN5VEJGQgGBJ0GifAR4nn4Yzg8O51UEl_E4R8qxRwZXW7Ev3yV9IDsl7-qiuoAjmtAcjS00waOP04BXGmlCz61AwuIiJ-pS7h5_220HISGtmA&sig=AHIEtbTbR-1M57UsLx_HD7AQGvSD6b7yoA

please read para 2.  and 6. hth. :tree:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:00:52 pm by deepinthewoods »

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 08:07:10 pm »
Point 17 clarifies the siuation. As soon as the slaughterman/butcher supplies you the animal back it has entered the market therefore is illegal. Only way you can do it is kill it yourself and have someone dress it or dress it yourself as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS