Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is clover harmful to chickens?  (Read 5538 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Is clover harmful to chickens?
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:14:50 pm »
Just read in a book that clover is harmful to chickens - it's listed with rhododendron, ivy, hemlock, foxglove and a whole list of other plants.

Our pastures are clover rich. Is it true and if so, how does it affect chickens and why?

Worried of Carnoustie

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Is clover harmful to chickens?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:48:17 am »
mine  pasture too clover rich,, hens always pecking at it ,, still alive after 18 months  :relief:
gonna have to look this up  never heard of it

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:19:53 am »
It just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read. ;D

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:28:59 am »
true ,, only thing i can come  up with is a mould that can grow on the clover ,, not good for animals

always believed that free range hens know what to eat and avoid  whats not good for them,,

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:14:16 am »
They actually feed on clover preferentially if you put grass clippings in a run

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 09:01:16 am »
not sure about chickens, it is bad for horses and I hate the stuff. If you have too much, using a nitrogen fertiliser helps the grass outcompete the clover-alot of clover can indicate poor nitrogen levels.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:07:17 am »
I read somewhere that clover was good for chickens but can't find out where I read that now  ???
As a result when I had mum and chicks in a small pen on their own I was purposely picking clover leaves to give them along with the chick crumb. They seemed to love it and certainly no ill effects.  They all free range over our fields with lots of clover and no issues at all.
God knows what I have been reading but I thought that clover was good for horses too, especially the pink clover.
I don't have horses but the people who lived here before us did. They had a piece of land flattened and seeded for them and thats the area with the most pink clover.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:40:37 am »
I start feeding clover to my chicks at around 7 days old. I sow clover anywhere I have a clear patch of ground. Top feed in the way of greens for birds.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 09:52:01 am »
Will there be a difference between red and white clover?  There is in terms of feeding sheep and cattle.  Red is good, high protein, but too much can behave like oestrogen and affect females hormonally - one farm I worked on, the untupped gimmers all put on big full udders on red clover!  And we're told not to run cows on clover when we're wanting them bulled, as the oestrogen can behave like a contraceptive pill!

White clover, however, has little feed value, and its presence in the sward is indicative of low quality grass. 

Lord Flynn, in what way is clover bad for horses?  Except in that red clover indicates good quality feed, usually too high in protein for horses, especially natives.

I don't know whether there'd be a difference in flowering and non-flowering, whether the seeds may have different properties... hopefully someone who knows will be along shortly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:15:16 am »
not sure about chickens, it is bad for horses and I hate the stuff. If you have too much, using a nitrogen fertiliser helps the grass outcompete the clover-alot of clover can indicate poor nitrogen levels.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?  Clover is much used in Organic systems to build up nitrogen levels in the soil and thus help to improve the grass.  Applying chemical fertilisers will cause the clover to die out - which is what you want, but certainly not what I want, as we don't keep horses.  We had a new small pasture we had bought enriched with clover, and the grass quality is improving year by year, as the nitrogen from the clover roots is made available to the grass.

For our primitive sheep, the mixed nature of forage containing 'weeds' helps maintain their fitness.  It also prevents grass staggers or whatever it's called which happens when new grass which has had artificial fertiliser spread in spring, is eaten.  I don't know much about it as we never have applied artificial fertilisers, and never will, so our stock have never had these problems.

Animals, and poultry, when given the opportunity, do tend to eat what's good for them, and will actively seek out vegetation they need, and avoid unpalatable plants.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 12:23:41 pm »
As far as i know it only Alsike clover that is bad for horses so maybe its the same for hens... I pasture my mares on rye/clover and never had a problem. My hens love the clover and equally never had a problem, neither did my parents before me so we're talking some 60 + years of clover eating with no problems haha if you are going to seed clover just make sure you get the right type. Stick to common white and you shouldnt have any problems... I think most ppl know that red clover isnt good for sheep as can affect fertility etc!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 01:56:14 pm »
I would be interested to hear more about this as white clover is a fav of my hens.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 07:25:49 pm »
clover-well alsike is toxic for a start. normal white/red clover is often touted as being good for horses but its very high in protein (too high for the breeds I keep-namely Exmoors and Lusitanos). It's also high in phytoestrogens, cyanogens and carries the risk of fungi that causes slobbers. Cyanogens can cause photosensitivity ie liver damage. Most horses won't eat much of it so its not a huge problem. However, at one place I was at it had completely taken over, the grazing was about 90% clover and increasing-greedy natives will eat anything and even grazing close to it can cause photosensitivity when its flowering-as will buttercup. I don't keep ruminants.

I didn't want to fertilise-like I said, I keep Native ponies. But, topping etc didnt help so I took some advice and did it-and it definitely helped. I don't want lush grass either-my equines do best on scrubby hill grazing, I'm not keeping high maintenance types  8)  wouldn't want much rye either. The hens were great at clearing up the buttercup this summer though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:31:07 pm by lord flynn »

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 08:18:23 am »
I bought a specific clover grass seed mix for our meadow for the chickens, bought from a farm supplies listed as grass seed for poultry runs.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS