Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I am stuck :( :(  (Read 5247 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
I am stuck :( :(
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »
Hi there

I have 13 ewes going to two different rams this year, some are pedigree shetlands going to pedigree shetland ram and the others are mixed shetlands and a few commercial crosses going to a hampshire down cross ram lamb.

This saturday I attempted to split them into groups and place each ram with his group, the ladies took wind of what was happening and so did the rams, after running up and down and trying over and over again to get the sheep into a hurdle pen in the corner of the field in the pouring rain, we gave up after 5 hours. (buckets and food not working :(

Yesterday we started earlyer in the morning (9 am) and all sheep were as good as gold, we caught them all and split them into two groups etc etc, HOWEVER the group of shetlands have to go down a very steep hill/ledge to get to the next field, its about 80 meters of steep and very bare woodland (tall trees with no undergrowth)

No matter what we tried (6 people and 1 dog) we could not get them to go down, we can walk up and down so therefore the sheep must be able to.

So we had to put the electric fence along the top instead of along the bottom, splitting the two groups

We assumed that once they would get hungry they will go down....

This afternoon I have gone to see them and 3 of the shetland ewes have broken out and joined the cross bred flock leaving behind the ram and 2 ewes who are still lying at the top maaaaing and hungry after refusing to walk down the hill  :gloomy:

I have just moved into the area so dont know many people who could help me, I need a good dog or two to be able to re catch all the sheep and then take the shetlands down to the bottom paddock and hold them there whilst I put my electric fence up.

My dog is too old and too small to stand up to the rams.

None of the ewes have been marked yet so now I have to figure something else out before they all get covered :(

Anyone near Cirencester/Stroud who could lend any thoughts? ideas? dogs?

Many thanks

Jess

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: I am stuck :( :(
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:12:55 pm »
Oh and yes I have decided to finally give up on relying purely on the bucket and will try and get a sheepdog come spring time

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »
I've had a similar problem getting sheep across a stream that they'd never been over before.  Luckily I only had three or so to deal with, but I ended up haltering them all and dragging them through it.  You might find something similar works for you, grab one or two and drag them down, and tie them to something at the bottom, then hopefully the others will follow to be with the ones that are tied up.  If you have any that are the "leaders" choose those as the ones to drag down.

You don't always need a dog. I have found that I struggled to make my sheep do something or go somewhere where they had not been before, but once they had done it they learnt and it was easy the next time.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:30:56 pm »
An old shepherd  told me sheep prefer to run up the hill, rather than down.
Personally I'd stick them in the truck and take em down, or walk them down with a rope around their necks if they are not too wild, and not too many.
Buckets work best when they are hungry, ie winter.
Iv been in your situation so sympathise. Luckily ours followed our pet sheep into a small paddock, then we could . Put them in hurdles.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:52:46 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, but when I say steep, I mean no vehicle can get down there and may be very difficult to drag them down on a rope, there is no vehicle accsess to the bottom

Will have to see if we can somehow rope them down there if they havent gone down by the end of the week as they refuse to follow a bucket down

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »
Is there any chance of moving the whole lot down and then split them at the bottom and bring the others back up?  Failing that I would be tempted to get as many people as you can to a ewe and then the ram down each - if shetlands they are not too large to manhandle and if you all move as one, it shouldn't be too bad a journey and probably would work out easier than running after them.  A bit of a hassle and your muscles will probably ache the next day, but once they are down there that would be it done for a bit.  Whereabouts in Stroud are you - I might be able to come and lend a hand depending on when you plan to move them.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »
Hi Emily,

We originally got the shetland ram down the bottom using three ropes and three men, (not that he was evil or anything, its just too steep for one person) but as we didnt want to leave him tied to the fence on his own whilst we bring the next sheep down, he procceeded to walk away from all the lush grass and all the way back up again to be with the other sheep as the fence is at the top.

I think yes we are going to have to let all the sheep in as one group at the top, move the electric fence down to the bottom whilst hoping they dont swap wives... then drag each shetland down one by one, then as the fence is down there they cant walk back up to meet the others, and as the others arent going to walk down the hill they wont see eachother!

Unfortunately I am on my own until the weekend, and I have to go back to Reading on saturday, so only have help on sunday, hoping this wont be too late and the ewes get covered by then

The sheep are located in Middle Lypiatt, Stroud, not sure how to attach the link on google maps to this post

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:11 am »
Can't help but I am feeling your pain  :hug:

Come April, it will all be worth it  :thumbsup:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:45:51 pm »
Thanks Rosemary :)

All of the sheep are together now :( I think im just going to have to accept the fact I am getting a mix of lambs next year, at least the rams have crayons on so I can see who has tupped whom, unless I get ewes with both colours on I suppose  :thinking:

But should be easy to tell when the lambs are born

Next year will have to be done differently I think

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »
When you wean the lambs next year after a week (when she'll have dried up) put the ewe lambs with an old ewe that's used to the steep bit and keep them there for a while. They'll get used to it (hefting) and learn to use the paths your sheep will have worn by then.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »
Did you see countryfile this week ...... Adam had similar problems!!  ..... solved by catching one and dragging it to where they wanted the others and tying it up there ..... seemed to work for him.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:56:18 pm »
I just watched that now!! If they havnt all been tupped by this weekend, then will attempt to gather them up, split the group up again, move the fence, drag a couple down the hill and hopefully the rest follow,

We got two down with food but no one wanted to follow, so I will try with different sheep

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:20 am »
When we bought our 4 Jacob ewes it took us 1 Hour to catch them once to worm them, they were in a very small paddock too.
We now have a collie which I trained myself and although not perfect it takes minuites rather than hours.
Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS