Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calf born at last!  (Read 3914 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Calf born at last!
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:12:00 am »
I went to check her this morning and saw that she had given birth, must be only a few hours old, I have left them to bond, am not gonna milk her for about 24 hours and when I do I will still leave the calf on her, that is the system I use. Gradually once the calf gets older and starts eating cake it will come in of a night and be fed cake and the mother will be milked in the morning and then the calf has the rest of the day with her. I find this system works for us and the calf, it saves us milking twice a day, therefore saves time and energy and also the cow lactates for longer and it also saves calf rearing. Buffaloes always hold quite a bit of milk back even when they have no calf demand, they're quite different to cows, cows, I think, give more of their milk than buffaloes, but no animal gives all their milk.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Calf born at last!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:14:59 am »
Brilliant  :thumbsup:
Bull? Heifer?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:20:52 am »
Its a heifer, a valuable addition to the herd :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:44:44 am »
Just out of interest, how much milk does a water buffalo give a day?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:54:01 am »
Just out of interest, how much milk does a water buffalo give a day?
and what do you do with the milk?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
It depends how good their genetics are, an average buffalo gives about 4-5 litres daily, plus what the calf drinks. A buffalo which has good genetics can give about 10 litres daily, plus what the calf drinks. This cow has very good genetics, so should give about 10 litres. Plus I have 4 more heifers to calve. I make cheese with it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:20:14 am by waterbuffalofarmer »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:48 am »
Congratulations  :thumbsup:
Just need a piccie now so we can all share the delight   :eyelashes:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:42:08 am »
Do Water Buffaloes actually need water? i.e. do they suffer in the heat if they have no recourse to water (except to drink, of course)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:50 am »
Do Water Buffaloes actually need water? i.e. do they suffer in the heat if they have no recourse to water (except to drink, of course)
If they have plenty of shade and plenty to drink they're fine. In Italy they are kept in buildings and the buildings have built in, almost like car washes, machines which spray water and have like a scrubber which the buffaloes love. There is a video on YouTube about it. If there is water lying around on the floor they make their own wallow.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 10:16:02 am »
As pigs would?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:27 am »

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:51 am »
I was watching Country Wise on ITV the other day and they went to see some water buffalo in Wales. I wondered if that was you?

I'll second the call for baby water buffalo pics!  :excited:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 12:04:44 pm »
No it wasn't us, sadly. It may be someone I know though, were they in south wales then?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »
No it wasn't us, sadly. It may be someone I know though, were they in south wales then?

I think it was south Wales. I've the memory of a goldfish so don't hold me to it. Pretty sure it wasn't north Wales as we're north wales and I think that would have stuck.

::)  :thinking:  :dunce:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS