Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many weeks do chicks need under a heatlamp  (Read 7720 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
How many weeks do chicks need under a heatlamp
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:03 pm »
Question on behalf of my eleven year old son.  He hatched bantam chicks out  :love: on Easter day, so nearly 3 weeks old.  How long does he keep them under the heat lamp and does he gradually wean them off? I appreciate that they will need the lamp for some time yet.  We are also about to expand their enclosure, to include lots of things for chicks to play with, as they are currently full of fun!

Thank you!

Pootle

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Surrey/Hampshire border
    • Pootle Pekins
Re: How many weeks do chicks need under a heatlamp
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
Depends on the ambient temperature of where you keep them. For example, my chicks are raised in the house, so they start coming out from under their electric hens on their own much earlier than they would outside. Where do you keep them?
Breeder of pekins and sabelpoots
Pootle Pekins

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:32:55 pm »
In a closed up stable, so out of the elements but obviously colder than a house.

Pootle

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Surrey/Hampshire border
    • Pootle Pekins
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »
I'd give them a few more weeks yet then. Gradually weaning them off is best, and they'll need heat at night even if they aren't needing it during the day. If they huddle together keep the heat on. Feathering up can also be a factor.
Breeder of pekins and sabelpoots
Pootle Pekins

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »
My Hubbards are 4 weeks and outside in the barn. They have the lamp on at night but off from 10am until 4pm and getting longer. I just play it by ear and watch how comfortable they are. Some were lying down outside their box today so they weren't missing the lamp.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »
You can start to lift the lamp a little bit each day. Watch and listen to the chicks .... they will tell you if they are cold (huddled together/ cheeping). Some heat lamps also have a lower setting that you can use. Eventually try turning the lamp off for an hour or two at a time during the daytime. Gradually increase the time without the lamp. I leave the lamp on during nightime until they are feathered. By about 6 weeks they should be feathered and hardened off, as it were.

How lovely that they hatched on Easter Day! Hope your son enjoys them  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS