Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soay Meat. Yum and thank you.  (Read 2291 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Soay Meat. Yum and thank you.
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:11:47 pm »
Had our first meal of home reared Soay today. Shoulder cooked slowly in cider, honey and rosemary.

It was beautiful .... so tender and tasty.

Although the joints are smaller than you would get with a bought shoulder, we found that there was no waste because none of the very fatty meat you might expect with that cut ..... actually seemed to go further. Loads left for tomorrow.

My son loved it so much that he asked if we can keep some for our Christmas meal to have instead of turkey.  ;D

Thank you to all the TAS'ers that have helped us along the way.  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Soay Meat. Yum and thank you.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:52:34 pm »
 :thumbsup: :yum:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:25:13 pm »
Sounds fantastic!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:00:36 pm »
That's really good - working up to eating our Castlemilks next spring - hope I can say the same  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:07 am »
That's really good - working up to eating our Castlemilks next spring - hope I can say the same  :thumbsup:
You will - CM is extraordinary meat  :yum:.  Family members who 'don't like lamb' all love it  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS