Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have to thank the vet  (Read 5136 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
I have to thank the vet
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »
Our 2nd goat to kid was due today but I have a feeling she would be a couple of days early like last year. So I had my eye on her and sure enough Monday 10.30 first signs of pushing, padding about the lying down, sat calmly in the shed with her and waited and waited but nothing seemed to be happening. Called the vet after 2 hours - Prue was distressed or showing signs of being tired but last year she popped them out like peas when my back was turned for 5 mins so I just thought something was up. Vet arrive in 10mins with a junior as they don't get that much goat experience. She was examined to find she hadn't opened up inside at all, she was given an injection and the junior vet 'massaged her internally' not that Prue approved very much. After 10mins he could feel the kid when was bum first! After a wee sort out out came the first kid, cried in a second and on his feet almost straight away. Vet check for a second, head first - a bit of a sort out and number 2 boy arrived. I was thinking great everyone safe and sound. Vet said he just check in case and yes another and again back to front, this one seemed to take longer but maybe it was as I was holding Prue and my back was killing me. Out came the 3rd and with a bit of a rub cried - took a bit longer to get on his feet but fine now.

So glad I mad the call to the vet - don't want to get them out unnecessarily but then you never know but this time it was the right call - thank you Vet.

Mum is coping really well.

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: I have to thank the vet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:33 pm »
Well done - it's always a difficult decision to call the vet - they look lovely!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »
They are very cute.  That vet bill will be worth every penny.  :)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »
good call!! they are lovely
ET
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »
THREE  ;D brilliant, hope mum is recovering ok, and well done on making the right decision with calling the vet, was it New Deer Vets?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »
Well done, Prue! :goat:

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:06:25 pm »
How cute, glad all are well  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 08:28:46 pm »
they're lovely - especially the white & black spotty one (like my cat & pigs!)
  congratulations to you & Prue, glad it worked out ok in the end :)
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »
Hi Mays - Strichen Vet, same distance from us as New Deer but Strichen has a great lady who knows goats so she gets the big thumbs up from me, nice to be able to post something nice considering the messy I would have been in on my own - thank you all big sigh before the next!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »
Presuming (Never make assumptions)they are Pygmies?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »
Mum will  be kept busy!!!  The kids look lovely.

You did the right thing getting the vet - quite often with multiple births, there is a bit of a muddle in there, which needs sorting.  Delays can mean dead kids, so well done for your prompt action!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 12:03:59 am »

Awwwwww! They're so tiny!

Lovely!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 12:27:52 pm »
Sorry didn't see the photo.You need a shoehorn to kid pygmies especially of they are fed like western ones not african ones. ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
Hi Mays - Strichen Vet, same distance from us as New Deer but Strichen has a great lady who knows goats so she gets the big thumbs up from me, nice to be able to post something nice considering the messy I would have been in on my own - thank you all big sigh before the next!!
You can't be far from many of my friends - St Katherines, Memsie are two Both use the Strichen vets and commend them highly
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »
Lovely pic, Congratulations!
Lynn :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS