Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm getting a new puppy  (Read 11458 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: I'm getting a new puppy
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »
I'd name my next dog Sennen or Zennor, two of my fav Cornish beaches.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 04:39:14 pm »
i suppose 'porthcurno' is a bit long.... :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »
So what is it?

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:28:44 am »
How about 'Farley'? Those rusks are a sort of golden colour, from memory?!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 08:00:35 am »

We named him plain ordinary Jake in the end. He has a beautiful retriever nature without a nasty bone in his body and is a real nice addition to the family.Will post a picture later.  :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:46 pm »
thats a good name. i rem my aunties dog - digger!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »
Jake is now 4 months old and fast catching up with the girls.

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 05:58:58 pm »
Love retrievers, such nice dogs and wonderful pets!!  :wave:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »
I love labs as well. My first dog after we married was a beautiful red fox (not then a designer colour) lab. He went everywhere with me and when our son was born guarded him with his life.He died when he was 13 curled up in his bed and didnot suffer one day of illness all his life.
I told my son several years ago to start saving as that was what I wanted for my 60th birthday. Just got to wait for that day to arrive to see if it materialises. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sandy

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:13 pm »
We have 4 labs and would have loads more as they are so easy and loving...my 60th is comming very soon and another choc lab would be ideal

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:36 am »
Give a few discreet hints here and there. It might work. :thumbsup:

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 09:33:36 am »
Me and hubby both want another choc Lab so thats OK, just hope that next litter from our chocolate female will produce at least one, the last litter from her were all black!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 09:47:58 am »
Chocolate should not be mated with Yellow otherwise pink nosed yellow dudleys can be born, but with another chocolate or a black is fine; the colour of the resultant puppies depends upon the genes carried by both parents, not necessarily the colours that the parents are.  So in a  choc to choc mating you could get any combination depending on what is behind the parents - and not necessarily in the immediately previous generation
Chocolate is not dominant and there does not need to be a black parent to produce black puppies.
Colour genetics in any dog is a complicated issue which can be investigated prior to mating.

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:24 am »
We have a choc sire ready who has similar choc pedigree to ours and has the same grt grt grand parents......they were choc too !!!!! We have it sorted and have spoke to some one about it and yes, it is complex indeed, chances are she will have 1 choc and it will be a male...and we are booked in for gun dog training with Charlie now too..yippppeeeeeee!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
Brilliant - you'll have great fun, he's an excellent teacher!  Very patient with both dogs and handlers.  Can see Steve doing gundog tests or trials yet!  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS