Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: opinions please  (Read 2650 times)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
opinions please
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:33:26 pm »
 Hi,
we have 2 cows, x Dexter's, mum and daughter, mum was our first cow born on our holding and although not halter trained eats from a bucket and likes a scratch or 2, now her daughter who turned up out of the blue (no idea of the dad) just when we had organised a visit to the bull! is another matter.......she has been downright unfriendly since birth, we have just managed to get her into a shed for the first time since they were turned out after her birth. and am wondering whether we should 1. sell her 2. send to the abattoir.... 41mths on the 1st Aug, but not got a lot of freezer room at the moment or 3. anybody got a surefire way of taming her. I'm inclined to think that dad may be a limousine from her flighty behaviour, and her fairly nicely rounded bum!
any ideas hints etc welcome, they are both inside and we are giving them some beet to see if she will get the hint, but is still very stand offish.

Mandy

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: opinions please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »
Some cows are like that - flighty, for no reason. We have had calves here, born here, seen humans every day, yet are as wild as anything, and hard to catch.

41 months> is that a typo?  Were you thinking of eating it yourself?  Just thinking that is too old for the food chain?

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:15:26 pm »
Do you know what age cattle a lot of burger meat comes from. A lot of it is from cull cows which are usually over 6 years old. 41 months means that if you send her to the abbatoir you will probably get payed less per kilo than a cow under 30 months but there will be more meat on your cow aged 41 months. I would probably send her to the abbatoir.

Regards Patrick

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
thanks guys, leaning towards the abattoir solution myself since without a crush etc she is really difficult to deal with,since she is halfway between a dexter and standard beef animal in size.
just ordered replacement tags for her since she has managed to get hers out, that should be fun.............
looking at locherby or wishaw abattoirs, anybody got a recommendation?

Mandy

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:32:27 pm »
well we seem to be making some progress, she ate her dinner out of a bucket while i held it! still flighty but its the closest I've got to her since her birth ;D
might even give her a name now......

Mandy

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 02:35:00 pm »
Well done, pleased you are having success with taming her.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
She must be reading this thread ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS