Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hello  (Read 2466 times)

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
hello
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:19 am »
Hello,

I have looked at the site and it seems very good. I have ordered a couple of books on pigs and hope to raise and kill a couple of weaners next year.
I have about a quarter acre of ground (half old veg garden and half wooded). Before I buy the weaners I intend to get a sty of bales built,
a permanent water supply and some stock and electric fencing. I live in Cois Fharraige, about 10 miles west of Galway City in Ireland.

All advice appreciated.

sandy

Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:54 am »
Hello from Clackmannan....that bit of ground sounds nice for piggies :pig: I only have Chickens a DUck and a Drake..no room for pigs, well my neighbours would tell me off if I did....Welcome

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:29:09 am »
Hi from an expat pig fanatic.  If you can read all the postings in the pig section, and if possible get hold of a copy of Starting with Pigs by Andy Case.  Do you have a particular breed of pig in mind?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:53:53 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon.

Pigs are fantastic.  The Andy Case book is definitely a good book to start with.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:53:06 am »
Hello and welcome from brilliantly sunny Alloa (still icy but being positve!)

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:10:01 am »
Hello from me too  ;D
I'd also recommend the Andy Case book - look forward to hearing how you get on.

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 02:04:45 pm »

Sandy, thanks. Hope my neighbours will be ok. Pigs were kept generally around here up until the 70s and my nearest neighbour had one up to 5 years ago but got rid of him because he wouldn't put on weight. Some kind of determined slimmer!

Hilarysmum - Hi, I have ordered that book, about €12 on Amazon, very reasonable. I'm not sure what breed or cross I'd prefer. I've read that Tamworths are descended from Irish Grazers and that appealed. The English seem to have done a lot better than the Irish in protecting their native distinct breeds.
However maybe something a bit more docile for the first year. Also we get a lot of rainfall (usually!) here and I want to avoid a 'battle of the Somme' scene!!
But I may not have much of a choice if I want to buy reasonably local.

Thanks to all the welcomers and the kind comments. Blue skies and icy fields for the last 2 weeks here. No snow to speak of.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 06:36:18 am »
Try advertising for pigs wanted on this site, bound to be someone within reasonable distance.

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:48:45 pm »
Thanks Hilarysmum,

I have done just that!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:49 pm »
Hello and welcome from Derbyshire
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS