Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Florida  (Read 3974 times)

nug

• Joined Jun 2010
Hi from Florida
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »
Yorkshire guy, been living out here for around 7 years, 5 acres just over 2hrs north of orlando, 3 miles from the Suwannee river. IN THE WOODS!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Hi from Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:14:35 pm »
Hello Nug Welcome from Wizard in Grimsby Do you see the space vehicles go up from your house? I often wonder how much noise do they make when the go. The TV pictures are spectacular but I think the sound is reduced some what.Anyway enjoy your self with us all on TAS :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
Welcome to the forum  ;D
Wow - you'll be growing lots of lovely stuff out there in the sunshine state, soooooo jealous  ;D Though maybe I wouldn't fancy having to deal with crocs  ;)
Hope to hear lots more from you,
Karen

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
Hi welcome, love Florida. 

nug

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »
I am 180 miles from where the shuttle goes up but i did take a ride down & got to see it go up first time, seen it go up from here at night which was fantastic, Very hot at the moment, 97 & 75 at night. Gardening here is hard, white sand is what i have for dirt & in the winter it can get down to -8 which it did this year, which kills a lot of tender plants.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:34 am »
Morning nug .It's nearly 6.00 am GMT here in Grimsby and the temp was far to hot for me yesterday 27 C I did wonder about you soil because several Pals have been and they tell me of the variation in the ground.I know it can be cold because they stopped a rocket from going because it was iced up.The other thing I don't know if they live in your part but I really don't fancy Alli's in me pool cool cooling off. ??? ;D It is a bit cooler this am clouded over but that might make it humid and thats worse.All my boxes are doing well I had new potato for Sunday lunch plenty of leaves for salad, pickle onions look well and the kidney beans just starting to form there are several 1" long Looking forward to them. Plagued with those little black ants at the moment though There you are a report from East of England,and no I am not a football fan  :wave: :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 07:58:44 am »
Hi and welcome! Doesn't sound like the gardener's paradise I would have imagined  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:02:52 am »
Do you grow citrus?  We do here in Brittany, but in pots as they have to be bought in during the worst part of the winter.  -8 in the very worst weather.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
Hi nug, what livestock do you keep? What do you manage to grow?

Been to Florida many times but I now feel I need to see more of the state than the usual tourist areas.

nug

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »
Tangerines do the best with it getting cold, last year i had a bush loaded with large easy to peel very sweet tangerines, my inlaws live less than an hr from us but at the coast, cedar key, & they have an orange tree that produces hundreds of sweet oranges every year. One fruit that does really well here is the persimmons, they used to sell them in Tesco's under the name of sharon fruit & they are very nice. you can grow citrus & apples side by side here if you pick the right type, apples & pears all need to be low chill hrs eg 450hrs to set the fruit. I also have loquats which flower in november & fruit in march-april, these are like small peaches. Friend over the back as trees loaded to the ground with peachs & hes the one with all the animals, i only have a few hens but am looking at the hair sheep for meet. Sweet potatoes grow like weeds here, cant kill em lol, very hard to grow tomatoes thru the summer, too hot! spring & fall is the time for them, grow greens thru the winter. We have deer, wild pigs, turkeys all come thru the yard, then i only have a 30 minute run to get to the gulf for fishing!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders  :wave: Your place sounds great but I could not cope with the heat.
Anne

nug

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:16:11 am »
Yep the heat at this time of the year is brutal, just jumped in the car & went to pick up the keys which is all metal & did i know about it, steering wheel toooooo. The pool helps ALOT! Then we have loads of springs around here, i can launch the boat in to the suwannee, which is just across the road & 2 miles up river is a really nice spring where you can go up the flow from the spring in your boat, park up & fish, snorkel, sun bath ect. Theres even a shallow spot in the suwannee where people sit in their chairs with a beer & ali gs on the bank! The heat starts to go the middle of october & then its great until mid may.

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 12:20:53 am »
 :wave: Hello from Clackmannan!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 09:23:22 am »
Sounds idyllic.  Are the alligators and crocodiles a genuine problem, or just tourist scare stories?

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 02:47:30 pm »
hello from Lincolnshire (ex yorkshire). I have fond memories of my husband and I breaking into song (you can guess which one) as we drove over the suwannee river. I think you will struggle to grow english type crops where you are I bet the okra and sweeet potatoes are good. Do you have any Pecan trees? I look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS