Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing sheep  (Read 11817 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Missing sheep
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:06 pm »
Sorry to hear that kaz. Get yourself a stop motion camera and set it up somewhere discrete in the field where it won't get spotted. It runs off batteries, no wires and you playback via your computer to see what has been going on whilst you weren't there. You can backup the pics to computer too.

Don't know anything about these but might be an idea, as this has definitely unsettled me. Hubby not too good for coping with this sort of thing.
What exactly do I need?
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:30:48 pm »
Good god....whatever next.....that is  terrible thing to happen, so very sorry Kaz.....and police need a lesson in sizes of sheep >:(
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

waterhouse

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 03:41:38 am »
We live in what is called urban fringe which means we have the benefits of town people dumping their rubbish in our lane plus slow broadband and lousy mobile phone coverage.  We're ten minutes from Luton airport and five minutes from the M1 which means that thieves can get away really easily.  Everyone in our road has lost machinery from sheds, or had stuff dumped on them.  From the police side we have an above average crime rate which is trending upwards and includes armed burglaries. 

So we have an electric gate which stops sightseers driving in for a look around, CCTV cameras around the property and we use an alarm system.  On the back of our experience I'd make some comments

1.  You need an awful lot of cameras to cover fully the exterior of a house with outbuildings
2.  Cheap cameras with cheap lenses give crap pictures.  A fuzzy picture of a bloke in a hoodie doesn't help.   Every vehicle coming on our property has its number plate filmed with a high res camera and the time logged.  It's handy to know who's called or tried to enter (and we change the gate codes every few months cos lots of people get to know them)
3.  Wireless systems tend to be low-resolution
4.  cameras with built-in LED's work quite well at night but suffer from flare in fog or rain (or Scotland) and the heat attracts spiders who build webs across the lens at night so that the motion detection feature is triggered.  Gusts of wind also trigger them.
5.  The horses each have freezemarks and chips and we have signs up

There are starting to be lots of farm systems sold because farmers are huge targets for theft around here.  Lots use mobile phone technology which is very cheap (if there's a signal) and can be concealed in a tree or suchlike.  Some will simply take still pictures if triggered by a PIR while others will phone you if movement is detected.  Position is very important: you don't need calls telling you that your sheep are walking around.

Apparently you're not supposed to film passing cars on the road outside, at least youre not supposed to be seen to do it.  The main road along the far side of our property however has a pair of police ANPR cameras prominently mounted just where a vehicle would have to go to steal our livestock.  We take the view that we are making it hard for the casual thief to work without being spotted, and the cautious thief will go somewhere else when he sees the hardware.  But we always also make ourselves prominent with hi-viz jackets, floodlights and big torches if we suspect an intruder: we want to scare them off not catch them. 

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 12:59:44 pm »
Something like this Kaz:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=260625

Good for use when too far from the house for the usual CCTV. Hide it away a bit when you position it so it is not obvious to see.

Best wishes.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »
We live in what is called urban fringe which means we have the benefits of town people dumping their rubbish in our lane plus slow broadband and lousy mobile phone coverage.  We're ten minutes from Luton airport and five minutes from the M1 which means that thieves can get away really easily.  Everyone in our road has lost machinery from sheds, or had stuff dumped on them.  From the police side we have an above average crime rate which is trending upwards and includes armed burglaries. 

So we have an electric gate which stops sightseers driving in for a look around, CCTV cameras around the property and we use an alarm system.  On the back of our experience I'd make some comments

:o :o I deal with alot of south african clients where security is very high on everyones list but that list of security protection is horrendous! I am so sad that things in the UK are like that! I live in a community where everyone knows everyone and their business it can have its down sides but also its a positive when you consider its the best kind of neighbour hood watch system there is!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »
Don't think it happens too much in the uk....We don't personally have any security other than the odd chained gate and down here in the west mostly its neighbours, farmers and smallholders all looking out for each other so we are very much like France down here. I think other parts are a bit different though....but have to say I know Brittany better than ooop north here :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »
Good heavens Kaz, that's so awful - I'm so sorry  :o
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 10:26:31 am »
if anybody is going down the camera route you have to have signs statting that they are being recorded or it is inadmissible as evidence
also on cameras your local Tesco (if they will allow you to have a look at their system)have the best cameras as do the banks but are expensive 2 cameras and full system £1800 but what price security as i have found out you cannot solely rely in plod i will stop myself there before i get another 40 lashes
Africa now there is a country that is serious about security 2things i like about it they had a production v8 sierra no cant say they other thing

waterhouse

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 01:14:51 pm »
No they rolled back the legislation on the signs for domestic CCTV users.  At least they did in England. 

waterhouse

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »
Our lane is regularly redecorated by local donations.  Mind you some of the batch of a dozen car tyres dumped over Xmas have been used for holding water buckets.  As well as stability they help prevent freezing.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:48 pm »
Oooh!!! Pictures like that really make my blood boil  >:(- nearly as much as rustling sheep!!!  What on earth is the matter with people these days, they are just so damned SELFISH!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »
Absolutly terrable makes me as mad as a hatter too
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »
What I don't understand is if they can be bothered to load it up and drive it to your lane, why don't they just take it to the skip? ???

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »
having a flooring company i understand why, its because once you have loaded it from your clients in your van you have to pay for the disposal, the rubbish tips will not accept commercial rubbish for free, so once they have it on there van they will run down a lane have someone in the back and chuck it off while moving at speed, it happens near us too...

very hard to catch them
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:17 pm »
Yes, that's true here too - I recently took my builder/joiner to our tip with rubbish from his van to save him the £35.  All I had to do was drive and show my residents card at the gate!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS