Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will Lamblac Keep?  (Read 6321 times)

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
Will Lamblac Keep?
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:06 pm »
So, I have a soon to be opened 25kg bag of lamlac. Question is, if they are weaned before it runs out (which they will be) will it keep for next year?

any ideas? I think i'll have 10kg left.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Will Lamblac Keep?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:41:54 pm »
Sophie, I don't really know the answer but didn't feel it was the right thing to do to save the opened bag until next year. So I binned mine (and I only used one bottle full)
We are usually using it because there is a problem and I wouldn't want to compromise the little ones any further. 
Its just my opinion though
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »
Check the BB date on the bag. If it's OK, store the powder in an airtight container. I kept some from last year to this but didn't need it so it will be going in the bin.

Don't know if it would be safe to make it up and give it to other animals rather than waste it.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »
Ooo yeah, I have a load left over too that expires before next years lambing.  Hmprh.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 04:50:52 pm »
Contemplating ringing the vet to see if they would kindly exchange my 25kg bag for  two 10kgs and a 5kg.... but since I didn't actually get it from there then I am not too sure if that would work!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »
I regularly have calf and lamb milk powder left over and store in a dry, dark outside room which has a steady cool temperature.  If it's in a sack I put the sack in a plastic bag and seal it up. 

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »
...not at the rate my little friend is drinking it!   :)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »
My four cades are slurping the stuff like it's stolen. If I do end up with any left over then there's barn cats, pet dogs and (you never know) visitors coffee..? I doubt I'd go as far as make ice cream but it already has a vanilla scent....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:42 pm »
I regularly seal it well and keep it to next year.  If the best before date is well before next lambing then you can probably confidently assume the vitamins will have expired by then, so wouldn't use it on wee babba lambs, but it could be used up on the older ones, maybe one in two or three feeds?  Or yes, the choox, or dog, or whoever.  Not human visitors - yeuk!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 06:26:08 pm »
My cat loved it  :cat:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
We needed some for a pet lamb who has about another two weeks on the bottle before weaning and advertised on a local website with a Farming and Crofting Forum. We were lucky enough to get what we needed from a local farmer who had a bit of leftover. So might be worth advertising locally for anyone in the same position if it is going to expire before next year.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:08:30 pm »
Any one got any in Cambridgeshire? Pls.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:45:08 pm »
We bought a 10kg bag just in case and it's been sat in our hallway ever since. I did have a look at the BB date and it's next summer so I'm going to keep it somewhere cool and dry and perhaps get to use it then instead!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 09:47:53 pm »
That is your Lucky Bag of Lamlac.  Never throw it out, it is a charm preventing you from needing any Lamlac ;)

I would willingly pay twice, or even three times the price for a 10kg bag that would work such a charm here!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:49:19 pm »
I have a 10kg bag I used for 1 days worth of feeds before weaning early! It's still sat in my hallway well sealed. Going to try to keep it for next year, alternatively if anyone in Cornwall wants it they can have it because it's taking up room 8)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS