Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yesterdays adventure!  (Read 7099 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Yesterdays adventure!
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:42 am »
Twinkle my very rotund pregnant sow is due tomorrow, yesterday she was pulling the gate off its hinges to be out of the farrowing house/yard so decided to let her out for a wander round, she duly rolled in the biggest muddiest bog hole she could find and splattered me from head to toe but more was to come, silly girl decided to go for a roll in the compost heap and fell off it ending up on her back wobbling about like a weeble unable to get up, i really thought i was going to have to call the fire brigade (OH at work) to upright her. She was in a right old pickle and getting upset, eventually despite all my better judgement i managed to heave her over to her other side and she scrabbled herself upright, she looked at me face down in the mud and sauntered off for a rub on the greenhouse!!
I am buying shares in Persil, she is confined to barracks and i am in agony with my bad back, i had to have six lots of tablets last night to quell the pain! and i'm sore as hell this morning. Twinkle? she's fine had her breakfast in bed (it was raining) and streteched out for a good scratch, her tummy is rippling with a piggy football team so she unlike her owner is non the worse for her adventure. Any money she's redy to have her piglets on Saturday night when i'm supposed to be at the Shoot dinner !
Pigs you have to love 'em ;D
Mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Yesterdays adventure!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:43 am »
You describe it very well Mandy  :) :) :)

Sounds like a busy weekend ahead of you.......Let's hope she keeps her legs crossed until  you get back from the dinner.

Hope your back feels better soon.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:51 am »
 ;D ;D ;D brilliant all my piggies came running towards me yesterday and splashed me in mud guess what, i had clean trousers on!  not for long straight in the wash.
good luck with the birthing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:08:23 pm »
sods law dictates that when we arrange for a night out when pigs are near to farrowing the buggers will wait untill the night out and decide to scuppers plans that have been made in advance, hope you back gets better soon.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »
Hi Mandy.

They all seem to love that last roll in the mud before farrowing. Always come back smelling of horrible silt but they really enjoy it. I had one come back which looked like a large black (albeit with prick ears!). Got a pic somewhere - will dig it out.

I also had one who fancied a water birth. Took two hours to get her out of the pond. You can imagine what she smelled like after rolling around in all that gunk at the bottom.

Main thing was, she was happy - and had a lovely relaxed birth soon after (fortunately, back in the barn!).

A few of mine have gone bonkers in the hours before farrowing, ripping off gates, breaking through the walls of galvanised barns. A bit of a run around and a wallow and they come back, tired, relaxed, and happy.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:27 am »
That wee story made me smile Mandy - pigs, never a dull moment  ;) :D
Can you email me a photo of you and I'll send you some reiki for your back - just to see if it works  ;)
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:37:08 am »
If i can find a photo i will Karen, thanks, bit less sore today but the adventures continue, Clover my other GOS sow was out yesterday and managed to procure to bags of rat poison from up a drainpipe.......eek... rang vet who said given her size would probably be insignificant amount but have made sure she's drunk and ate pelnty to whoosh it thro her system so spent a worryingnight wondering if she'd be alive this morning... she is and as 'orrible as ever! ;D chewing straw and looking very contented in the sunshine sreaming thro her byre window.
My other trauma is that i have ever so slightly wormed myself with noramectin, pig moved at vital moment and i got my hand! (its not funny!! ;)so thats me sorted for six months won't get mange or worms! ha ha.
God the things i do...................
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:44:45 am by Fowgill Farm »

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:50:16 am »
Mandy i think you have taken over in the stories stake from Hilarys mum! hope your back is better soon, i have the same problem and it is a real pain when you have lots to get done.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:24:17 am »
Mandy i think you have taken over in the stories stake from Hilarys mum! hope your back is better soon, i have the same problem and it is a real pain when you have lots to get done.
Don't think i'm quite in HM's class :) miss her stories loads does anyone keep in touch or heard from her lately?

Back is waiting for nerve block end April hopefully for diagnostics to find which disc thats jiggered is bashing nerve down my leg. Not looking forward to it and neither is OH as he will be pig keeping. LOL ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »
My other trauma is that i have ever so slightly wormed myself with noramectin, pig moved at vital moment and i got my hand! (its not funny!! ;)
errr.... yeah, it is!   ;D

Thanks for sharing, Mandy - hope the farrowing goes well (if not conveniently... that would be too much to hope for!) and really hope your back settles down  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »
[quote
My other trauma is that i have ever so slightly wormed myself with noramectin, pig moved at vital moment and i got my hand! (its not funny!! ;)so thats me sorted for six months won't get mange or worms! ha ha.
[/quote]

being down to one arm i called on mums services to jab my pigs goats and cattle she is great with she injected herself 3 times so she is well covered in the worm and mange dept too  ;D

down to one are after wrestling my boar arm got trapped between 2 pig boards a boar and a OH that tops 15 stone i did not stand a chance  ::) a nice clean fracture of the wrist. i did not show anyone what had happened for 4 or 5 hours by that time i could stand the pain no more. on the plus side the boar came out to play and enjoyed himself i say came out to play he is in training for the shows and at this rate he may well be winning it rather difficult holding a board and stick with only 1 hand whilst walking a pig ...................the girls are getting there they will walk with me quiet nicely but i suspect they are lulling me into false security and let rip at the first show  ;D hey ho

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 01:50:43 pm »
I agree with Sally, it is funny - but only cos we've all been in similar situations and couldn't laugh at ourselves then  ;) :D

I've emailed HM a few times to see where she's gotten to - but never had an answer, and that's just not like her at all - I'm stumped  ??? :( :( :(

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 09:37:41 am »
 :wave: You have made me giggle- you should write a book!
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:43:54 am »

down to one are after wrestling my boar arm got trapped between 2 pig boards a boar and a OH that tops 15 stone i did not stand a chance  ::) a nice clean fracture of the wrist. i did not show anyone what had happened for 4 or 5 hours by that time i could stand the pain no more. on the plus side the boar came out to play and enjoyed himself i say came out to play he is in training for the shows and at this rate he may well be winning it rather difficult holding a board and stick with only 1 hand whilst walking a pig ...................the girls are getting there they will walk with me quiet nicely but i suspect they are lulling me into false security and let rip at the first show  ;D hey ho

Ouch chickenfeed, that sounds painful, pigs are just so strong and yes your girls are lulling you into a false sense of security ;D Which shows are you hoping to go to? Sure you'll be fine everyone is really helpful and will soon round up any escapees!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS