Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new additions to our small farM!!!!!  (Read 1826 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
new additions to our small farM!!!!!
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:34:42 am »
 SORRY ITS BEEN SO LONG SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON SITE. BEEN SO BUSY !!! WE GOT NEW ADDITIONS TO FARM- TWO  :goat: MOLLY AND MILLY!!!! AND SHEP THE  :dog: HE IS A 11WK OLD BORDER COLLIE SHEEP DOG WE LOVE HIM!!!!!!!! HAS ANY ONE ANY ADVICE ABOUT  :goat: KEEPING AND HOW DO YOU TRAIN A SHEEPDOG TO ROUND UP  :chook: HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH EVERYONE BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Langdon ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: new additions to our small farM!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:45:36 pm »
Get some professional advice on sheepdog training - it's easy to waste a dog if you don't know what you are doing. I don't know where you are but Julie Hills / Bobby Henderson at Henderson - Hill Border Collies are wonderful. Even if you aren't in their area, Midlothian, they will be able to advise on someone local.

We visited them a few months ago and they had 18 collies in training / working - they are top class triallists - and their relationship with the dogs was brilliant. And really nice people too.

sandy

Re: new additions to our small farM!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:28:23 pm »
hello, I missed the sheep dog training course but I heard how impressed everyone was that went. My father in law...a very old fashioned farmer, used to always buy his sheep dogs from another farmer and buy them when his existing sheep dog was getting older so the older dog trained the new one...not sure how they did it but also very relient on the dogs natural instincts, natural to round up the pack!!! I love dogs anyway..if I did have loads of land, I would have loads of dogs!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS