Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for hunting ferret  (Read 6394 times)

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
Looking for hunting ferret
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:19:08 pm »
Im thiking of getting a few ferrets for hunting as im not allowed a gun so if anyone has had any litters and looking to get rid of 2 or 3 females ill gladly take them....
#
Jack L

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Looking for hunting ferret
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »
Ferrets are difficult - learn about them first.  Un-neutered females can die from an infection if they don't have a male with them.
Jills, or unspayed females, have to constantly be bred otherwise they will remain in heat. If they are not allowed to breed and remain in heat, they will develop aplastic anemia and die
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »
Ive been looking on the internet for information on ferrets no problem getting them spayed thats what i was planning to do.Apparentely they naturally flush rabbits out if you put them in a hole.Im planning to keep them in a rabbit hutch(without the rabbits!) and a cage to run around in with a concrete floor so they cant dig.I go hunting and feel abit useless because i cant shoot anytthing or bring any dogs but a ferret would flush the rabbits out so we can get them.

Jack

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:56:01 am »
Have a look on youtube - I have a  feeling I saw a video of ferrets being used and they had nets over the burrows to catch the rabbits, but then they had to kill them.  You can't have an air rifle I take it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:43:36 am »
killing a rabbit is ok i do it often but i can have an air rifle but my mother wont let me have one

Jack

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:40:24 pm »
We've had guys here with ferrets before (nice wee things, the ferrets) and they killed the rabbits by dislocating the neck. The ferrets just seemed to be for flushing the rabbits into nets.

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:34:34 pm »
Does anyone know about air gun laws?are they easily bought or do you need a license?

Jack

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:08 am »
Hi Jack,

Im a keen shooter using both Airguns and Shotguns. You have to be over 17 to own an air rifle. You do not need a license for an air rifle or pistol as long the power is under 12Ft/lbs energy (rifle) or 6 ft/lbs (Pistol) - all guns you see in magazines online etc are within the limits.

Anything over that (powerwise) you need a firearms Cert for. Bloody nightmare to get and you might as well get a .22 rimfire if you get granted a FAC - as your only going to get 18 ft/lbs with an air rifle.  .22 rimfire range for rabbits etc is max 100 yards, 75 yards for Foxes.

A .22 or .177 air rifle (calibre choice is up to you - .177 is flatter trajectory and faster (850 fps) but .22 has  more impact as its a heavier pellet (600fps) ) - has a range of 30 yard for rabbits, pigeons and the like. Air pistols are only good for rats and close range (10 yards) if you get a full power one - there are only a couple that are full power. HW45 and Sheridan Benjamin for example.

I use .22 air rifle for rabbits,rats, sitting pheasant and .177 air rifle for roosting pigeons and magpies. Sometimes use a .20 air pistol for rats in the barns.

As far as shooting goes you need the permission of the landowner and all game season laws apply. Its also worth joining something like the BASC, which comes with shooting insurance.

Ferrets are cool and work well, but the cost of ferrets, collars, finders, nets etc can soon add up to the cost of a good budget air rifle and scope. You need to understand burrows and net every possible exit, also get ready to start digging when the ferret doesn't come out, because he / she has killed in the burrow.  You also need to handle them daily and keep them occupied as they are nasty little sods when the get bored!

My wife is happy with me having a few guns but I'm not allowed ferrets!!
 ???

PM me if you want advise on buying a decent gun / scope combo within a certain budget.

Hope this helps!
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:24:46 pm »
As Jack is only 15 he'll  have to wait a couple of years!  Lots of info there though. I'm sure Sandy will find it useful too if she decides to go ahead and have that air-rifle.  Not for me though, I'm a wimp - don't want one in the house - now ferrets, that's a different story! ;) ;)

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:06:04 pm »
I suppose mydadcould buy an air rifle anyways are those the laws in
 France

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 07:28:04 am »
Jackie you probably need to have a chat with your marie.

Seth

• Joined Dec 2008
  • France
    • Compact tractors
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »
I suppose mydadcould buy an air rifle anyways are those the laws in
 France

Hello Jack

If you live in france the law is very different. You are not allowed any air rifle over 10 joules (thats about 7ft lb ish) without a permis de chasse or shooting licence. In either case it is illegal to shot any animal with an air weapon.

You don't need a rifle to enjoy your hunting. A couple of ferrets and some nets and you can have a great days hunting. Don't forget your spade ;D

Seth

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 01:55:03 pm »
Hello Jack.
When I was your age I had a catapult...made from a forked hazel and in those days you could buy katty lastic by the foot.
It takes practice..the same as an air rifle..but there wasn't much I missed, given the shot...I used nuts..as in nuts and bolts..and could take a bean tin out at 20yrds no bother.
You can buy a katty without a licence..'Black widow' would do the job..

A ferret will take commitment and time..and then you can only ferret in the winter..once the rabbits start breeding you will lose your ferret if it kills in or finds kits in the nest..and besides that you will need permission to ferret.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:57:32 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 05:43:46 pm »
Months ago I was out feeding the Pygmy Goats, it must have been about 3.00pm as it was just getting dark. I have 2 youngsters who I feed outside - separate from the adults as they would probably be bullied. Anyway, the young ones get fed outside and the other 7 go into their shed and the door gets closed. A few minutes later when I returned to let them out and as I leaned down to collect the dirty bowls something moved very quickly and gave me a startle.I really did get a fright!  I jumped outside to check on the rabbits who were out playing and quickly closed the door.

When I knew all were safe I quietly opened the top part of the door and looked inside the goat shed to see what the hell I had seen. Low and behold it was the most beautiful white ferret. Now, I don't know much about these creatures other than they can bite. I shut the door and phoned for back up - a neighbour who I know kept ferrets. He caught the thing as it was hissing and not wanting caught and took it away.

It wasn't funny at the time but now when I read about folk wanting ferrets as pets, well I get a wee laugh to myself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS