Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Liver fluke warning  (Read 7685 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Liver fluke warning
« on: August 22, 2015, 09:30:02 am »
Announcement from our vets

Quote from: Capontree Vets
We are anticipating high fluke burdens this year due to the wetter summer. This may not be as severe as 2012 but will be far worse than last year. You need to start treating now so please call us to discuss your treatment options ASAP.

This is north Cumbria.

x-posted in Cattle
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Liver fluke warning
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:14:11 am »
Sally, I was only thinking about this today. Its been really wet here. Must speak to the vet.....
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:07:52 pm »
Thanks Sally,  would be the same for us here  l would imagine.  :sheep:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:11:02 pm »
and here.
Is it time to retire yet?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »
I just fluked my animals, good job too as its been wet for a couple of days. :relief:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:23:29 pm »
I think it takes a bit longer than that WBF?  Surely the risk level is related to the number of mud snails around, and how many of the early stage parasites they're carrying and subsequently shedding?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:25:31 pm »
I'll have a word with my vet as well - it hasn't been hugely wet here.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 04:40:57 pm »
If only we have had a "wetter" summer  :-[

Its been the driest summer here that anyone in the area can remember, all the rain has missed us this summer!

its like a desert  :'(

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 06:24:32 pm »
I suppose you always wish for what you don't get. We struggled to get our sheep sheared and no one has been able to make hay because it has been so wet.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 06:39:02 pm »
I think it takes a bit longer than that WBF?  Surely the risk level is related to the number of mud snails around, and how many of the early stage parasites they're carrying and subsequently shedding?  ???
Yea it does, but better to be safe than sorry.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »
Bring back acid rain I say, keeps the snail population down.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 02:51:10 am »
Well if it ain't one problem it another.  Since the North West stole all,the rain   :raining: down here it's been so dry  :sunshine: can't take the horse out because their feet are all cracked.  Still the sheep  :sheep: are happy.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 11:27:16 am »
Britain is a mad old place for weather isn't it?  No wonder its the national obsession. But as we are now well into extreme conditions I wonder whether it is out of the question to have some massive public building of underground pipes to take some of our western rain to the dry east? Yes it will be very expensive but would it be more expensive than high speed rail tracks? Or the overseas development budget? Or MPs expenses  :innocent:
The country is pretty small east to west anyway........ just a thought
Is it time to retire yet?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 02:25:14 pm »
Bring back acid rain I say, keeps the snail population down.
It may keep the snail population down, but acid rain is dangerous. I would rather have snails and fluke than acid rain. Would liming the land do the trick with the snails?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 09:34:59 pm »
I would rather have the acid rain, I hate snails and the damage that fluke can do

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS