Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: individual pens?  (Read 3898 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
individual pens?
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:05 pm »
I normally borrow some hurdles from a neighbour for lambing unfortunatley they are not available this year. I only have 4 ewes lambing and I bring them in to lamb. They are due in a bout 14 days,. My question is whether they need to be in individual pens after they have lambed or will they be okay in with each other. I guess I would be turning them out after a couple of days as they have shelter in the field.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: individual pens?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:10 pm »
I think shutting them in for a day or two with their lambs helps them to bond.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:27:03 pm »
We lamb outside now, but years ago we lambed our Jacobs inside.  OH knocked up some hurdles from wood which worked very well and were cheaper than buying.  If you have your ewes lambing in one area, you run the risk of lamb theft.  It does sometimes happen even when lambing outdoors if a ewe in labour is close to one which has just delivered, she will assume that the new lamb is hers.  If you have only 4 ewes, presumably they will not all be lambing on the same day so you only need one or two pens.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:50 pm »
Lots of people use pallets and wire/baler twine for this, and you would only need two pens max. Better to get the newborn lambs out of the communal area, although with only 4 ewes it should not be too difficult to match up mums and lambs.

Also ebay should have some cheap hurdles available?

We built the pens described by Tim Tyne in Countrysmallholding and also in his sheep book, with some variations, and they have proved very useful. I now have a permanent pen in the hayshed for any emergencies.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
spare hurdles
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:28 pm »
hi there i dont know your location i am outside edinburgh if you or anyone wants to borrow some hurdles 07778168275

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »
I ran out of hurdles so have used pallets and bail twine, does a great job and the pallets are free !!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:36:28 am »
I normally borrow some hurdles from a neighbour for lambing unfortunatley they are not available this year. I only have 4 ewes lambing and I bring them in to lamb. They are due in a bout 14 days.......

I'm new to all this. How many days before approx due date will you be bringing them in?

:sheep:  :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:39 am »

We built the pens described by Tim Tyne in Countrysmallholding and also in his sheep book, with some variations, and they have proved very useful. I now have a permanent pen in the hayshed for any emergencies.

Good aren't they  ;D
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:03:16 pm »
Yes they are! But we have not used the fancy screws in the side, but strong fencing wire to create the loops for the canes. works great. We (well OH not me) build a few add-on panels every year.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »
ohlala

bring them in a week before so they can get settled down and relaxed before they lamb
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS