Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling animals as pets  (Read 9392 times)

wildgeese

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Selling animals as pets
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
Don't billies anoint themselves with urine to make themselves smell good for the laydeez - smelliest goat wins? Rampant billies smell like one of those gent's urinals that make you glad you're female and don't have to go in there...

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »
must be the same as pigs when a new girl arrives the smelliest wallow gets used for a liberal coverage of brut or what ever turns them on before the nickers get ripped of :wave: :pig: :love:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 08:09:01 pm »
As a bone fide billy goat keeper ....
yes: the are absolutely NOT pets
yes: they are livestock
yes: they smell "unique"
yes: they spray their front legs with urine to smell "attractive" and have massive scent glands around the horn area (no jokes please!) which is kind of musky smelling. ....And greasy
yes: like any bloke on the pull ... they can get veeerrrryyyy stroppy if they feel their masculinity threatened
yes: the billy smell in the Autumn never quite leaves you!!

And, like most creatures, some are smellier than others, some are more easy-going, some are permenantly stroppy/macho/sexually frustrated!

Dare I ask just how much these "pets" were being sold for? 
And I won't make comment on the "Micro pig" thing, other than to say agree with BW (and AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!)
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:19 pm »
 ;D ;D

Not sure why the ref:to Lab's, when ALL the posts are about goats! 

I have never come across a randy lab jumping up, we see them all the time, and IF, they get fruity its usualy while you are chatting to thier owner, not anything like a male goat who I doubt people would take out for a walk off the lead, you may as well mention randy Ducks, Pigs, Horses, Bulls, Deer, Cockerals as a comparison, and why Labs and not other dogs??? So, if you are using a male thats OK for him to have his bits but if hes not used thats wrong to keep them, surly thats personal choice, a responsible owner will make that choice, irrisponsible owners do what they want anyway.....what about Priests???? (sorry Pope)do they need thier bits? my silly comparison  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:09:19 pm by Sandy »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 11:41:18 pm »
If you know of anyone who is intending to buy an intact male goat as a pet ....send them round here.  I could put them off the idea within minutes.
Bobby,our pygmy billy smells all year and yes, it contaminates everything within a mile.......if he spies a female up the field, he will spray his head with urine (must think its some sort of aftershave ....phew, really?) and when he is really smitten he will spray it into his mouth ....urgh, disgusting.

I certainly would not allow anyone who was not experienced with goats handle him - he has big horns and he will use them.

He started life as a pet in a back garden, no proper shed, just a tiny wendy house which he shared with Molly who we also rescued.  No grass, no hay, just fed on goat mix.  The lady thought it was fun to swing him round by his horns when he was small, and he continued to "play" with the owner.  To my horror she gave me a demo  of what they did.  Little wonder  he is as he is now.  This "pet" got the female in kid, and then the kid in kid, at which stage,  I took them all.  Sadly, the female was in kid at 5 months, and the kid was born dead.

I cannot understand why anyone would even think of having a uncastrated male as a pet - people selling them probably think of it as a good sales pitch to sell them as pets.

wildgeese

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 02:45:00 am »
I am loving the google ads that are coming up with this thread; all about body odour, pet urine smells and goats for sale! Even with a houseful of pigs called Digby one need never be at a loss!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 08:55:03 am »
I kept goats years ago and agree with everything said except for the smell. The urine bit is a tad disgusting but the musky smell is actually not bad.
Also, touching on the "micro-pig" I have discovered that there really is a tiny breed of pig!!
My son has bought me a book entitled "The Whole Hog" by Lyall Watson, your library may be able to get it for you, if not it is well worth buying for those who love pigs.
The smallest pig in the world is "sus sylvanicus" which is found in the foothills of the Himalayas. It is less than 16 inches in length, 10 inches tall and weighs around 10 pounds. Another point of interest is that it only has 6 teats and has never been domesticated. You can see why, you could one between two slices of bread! :D

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 12:47:58 pm »

what about Priests?Huh? (sorry Pope)do they need thier bits? my silly comparison
Mebbes a good idea to castrate some of that 'flock' given the relevations and scandals of the last few years ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 01:38:06 pm »
.....if he spies a female up the field, he will spray his head with urine (must think its some sort of aftershave ....phew, really?) and when he is really smitten he will spray it into his mouth ....urgh, disgusting.

Aside from the google ads, this is the funniest thread we've had for ages. I am beside myself wondering HOW Bobby actually does both these things  ;D

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 01:43:18 pm »
On another forum someone had advertised well handled uncastrated male goats as suitable as pets.  Another person pointed out forcefully that males could be very smelly and difficult and that to be suitable for pets they should be castrated.

Several other forum members felt the posting was unduly harsh and that the posting could deter possible buyers.

I wondered what people here think ....
Uncastrated males can be a bit unruly and a bit dangerous depending on what they     a re.  Yes goats will be a bit smelly, and yes may try to mate with you.  Others such as a male ram can also be dangerous, particularly if he has horns to with it. iPigs uncastrated can be a menace also.  Barrows behave like a sow and are very quite.  I would suggestion sterilization if you want males for pets.

AengusOg

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »
;D ;D

what about Priests????

I've been around a long time now, and I've never heard of pet priests. :D

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »
Uncastrated males can be a bit unruly and a bit dangerous depending on what they     
SO, if you're not going to use um, cut them off  ;), I think a pet Priest may be more "unruly" than an uncastrated goat  ::)

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 06:44:46 pm »
Uncastrated males can be a bit unruly and a bit dangerous depending on what they     
SO, if you're not going to use um, cut them off  ;), I think a pet Priest may be more "unruly" than an uncastrated goat  ::)
No, they would turn the other cheek ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 11:15:56 pm »
The pygmy billy has not tried it on with me yet, and he had better now with his habits - unfortunately the male llama seems quite keen on me though ......but he does not smell

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS