Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Devastated  (Read 5218 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
Devastated
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:36:31 pm »
Sat we went up north to see my friend and her horse, tunred out when we got there, he was not looking well, got vet out, they she got another out, did some tests inc tubing, turned out he had to go to dick vet, 70 miles away, got text yesterday morning to say he had died, it was grass sickness, i cant beleive he has gone, i am so upset, cant imagine what owner is going through. ::((

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Devastated
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:17:54 pm »
What dreadful news.  Grass sickness is horrible, just strikes out of nowhere, and seemingly not a lot they can do for the poor horse. Such a shock for the owner to go through this.  Thankfully, we do not seem to be in an area prone to grass sickness, or at least we do not hear of many cases.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:49 pm »
What causes it?  Is there a chemical in the grass that poisons them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »
What causes it?  Is there a chemical in the grass that poisons them?

Its a parasite that lives in the ground, goes to the grass, apparently its more common up north east of Scotland.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »
I didn't think that the cause of grass sickness had been identified and that was one of the main problems.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
I didn't think that the cause of grass sickness had been identified and that was one of the main problems.

According to the vet, he showed all symptoms, but was not 100% it was grass sickness, got there and they said it looks like it is, i left before he went and let her be with horse and her partner, they can do a post mortem or they can do a surgical, when they are still alive bit of the intestine and test it.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:34 pm »
my understanding is also that they dont know what causes it - many theories but none proven as yet - hence the grass sickness fund to do vital research.  i did read somewhere that recently churned up land can be a factor as can a lack of ...oh hell, i've forgotten...will come back to you once i remember.

my neighbours horse died year before last of the same thing, horribly distressing.  particularly for any horses that are left in the same field as the owners just dont know what to do for the best and sometimes they cant move them elsewhere.

horrible, horrible, horrible.

they do know that east coast of scotland seems to be one of the worst places for it for some reason.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »
Oh, joy. ::)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »
Grass sickness, as its name suggests, is strongly associated with grazing but there have been a few cases in animals with no access to pasture. In these rare cases, hay has been implicated as the source of the causal agent. Although most cases have been at grass full-time or during the day, the disease can affect horses which have only a few minutes’ access to grass daily. Giving supplementary feeding in the form of concentrates does not have a protective effect, but hay feeding reduced the risk factor in one study.

It is well recognised that certain premises, or even fields within single premises are associated with the occurrence of grass sickness cases. Animals which have been on affected premises for less than 2 months are more likely to develop the disease. Commonly, only one animal is affected at a time but ‘outbreaks’ of the disease with several cases in a period of a few weeks are not infrequent.

There is no clear association with type of pasture (new ley, permanent pasture, hill grazing, clean or ‘horse-sick’ pasture) but recent evidence suggests that high nitrogen content of soil and soil disturbance may be risk factors. While it was previously thought that grass sickness was more common in pastures with a high clover content, recent studies indicate that it can also occur on pastures with no clover. Thus clover is not the sole cause of the disease, and at worst may be a trigger for a bacterium such as Clostridium botulinum.

Other suggested risk factors include increased numbers of horses on the pasture, mechanical droppings removal and presence of domesticated birds on fields. Stress appears to be a factor in predisposing to the disease and a significant number of animals have a history of recent stress including recent purchase, mixing with strange horses, travelling a long distance, breaking and castration. Animals in good to fat condition also appear to be predisposed.

Many horse owners have firm opinions about the type of weather prevailing when grass sickness cases occur. In a survey of weather conditions in the two weeks preceding multiple-case outbreaks, it was found that cool, dry weather with a temperature between 7 and 11°C was recorded in a statistically significant number of instances. This may partly explain the higher incidence of the disease in the eastern side of Britain where such conditions are more prevalent.

Results of two surveys suggest that the risk of developing grass sickness is slightly higher in horses which are wormed more frequently with certain types of wormers. However, it should be emphasised that the consequences of not worming can be very serious or even fatal and it is not suggested that owners should decrease their use of wormers. There is also no indication that wormers themselves contain the toxin that causes grass sickness.

CAUSAL AGENT

The cause of grass sickness is unknown despite almost 100 years of investigation. Many potential causes have been examined over the years including poisonous plants, chemicals, bacteria, viruses, insects and metabolic upsets. A common suggestion by horse owners is that mineral or vitamin deficiencies may be the cause. None have any proven link with the disease, although selenium deficiency, which results in reduced levels of protective antioxidants in the body, may have some role to play. Grass sickness does not appear to be contagious and the type of damage to the nervous system suggests that a toxic substance is likely to be involved. The currently favoured theory under investigation is the possible involvement of Clostridium botulinum, a soil-associated bacterium.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:04:05 pm »
Hmmm, Storm35, I think we know the same person! I went to see my friend Kerry on Sunday and she said she had spent all day at the Dick vet, as her horse had been unwell, got 2 vets out, tubed it etc etc.
Though on SUnday eve, she said they had just got home when the Dick vet had phoned her to say the horse was fine again.
Hmm, maybe I'll text her and find out how the horse is :-\

No, not the same one - just a coincidence.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:53:03 pm by BlueDaisy »

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:12:10 pm »
Hmmm, Storm35, I think we know the same person! I went to see my friend Kerry on Sunday and she said she had spent all day at the Dick vet, as her horse had been unwell, got 2 vets out, tubed it etc etc.
Though on SUnday eve, she said they had just got home when the Dick vet had phoned her to say the horse was fine again.
Hmm, maybe I'll text her and find out how the horse is :-\

No, not the same one - just a coincidence.

Hope her horse is ok, its horrible, still canr believe he has gone, just like that :(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:53 am »
There have been a few cases around in the past couple of months and its always a worry. It has been know for a pony to recover but I wonder if in that case was it grass sickness. Years ago it almost wiped out all the Clydesdale Horses in Orkney. I keep my ponies on vit&mins all year round. wither this helps who knows.  It has been seen in racing stables on horses that do not get onto grass. :horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS