Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: companion planting  (Read 2291 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
companion planting
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:58:28 pm »
Can anyone give me some advice on companion planting to deter pests,

I have got spuds, onions, corgettes, radish, spring onion, peas, carrots, strawberries and rubarb going in the veg plot. should I plant some nasturtiums and marrigolds amongst them and if so what is the best way to do this? Are their any other plants\flowers I could add?

Buffy 

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: companion planting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:44 pm »
Hiya Buffy  :wave:

Where 'bouts are you, you seem to be a lot more advanced than me  ;) got spuds in planters, the mice got the broad beans - the rest is still in the growhouse.

I am determined to get a polytunnel this year  ;D

Really good website for what you're looking for www.vegetableexpert.co.uk  - planting & care section.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »
Coriander with carrots masks the carrot smell that attracts carrot fly.

Poached egg plant is very good for attracting hoverflies that eat other nasties. And it's very pretty. And you'll only ever have to sow it once. Ever. Unless you really ike weeding.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »
I plant marigolds around the veg beds and the odd clump of chives which I snip regularly, seems to help or maybe its just too cold here in Glasgow for pests!
JD

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:15:47 am »
Thanks everyone,

Bywyched I am in east yorkshire and its very warm and sunny here with the occasional light ground frost at the moment. We have a very light sand soil here which warms up quickly and is great for early growth. Its very hungry and thirsty though so I have to add lots of body and water. Rain due on Weds so Im trying to get a few things planted that the rain will water in for me.

Buffy

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »
Guess someone's gonna need a nice long soak in a hot bath then  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »
Ha ha,

:D you're dead right about that. Had a hot soak with the muscle ease bubble bath and I still feel rough.

got loads done today, though didnt manage to finish cutting the grass in the orchard so will have try and finish work early tomorrow and have another go at that.

Will have to take some photos to show you what I have been up to.

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS