Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Deep Is Your Snow / Sna / Snaw ?  (Read 19367 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: How Deep Is Your Snow / Sna / Snaw ?
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:06 am »
We had 4inches yesterday to add to what we already had and had another 4 last night.  Some wonderful drifts.  Off work, schools all closed.  Everyone seems to be out sledging :)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2013, 02:08:11 pm »
Yup, same here Roxy about half hour south of Edinburgh and half hour north of Anke - we've about 10inches here now and it's non-stop big fat flakes, never halted, 2 accidents on our road so they've shut it, all the usual CHAOS - isn't that the word they love at this time of year. 

Traffic CHAOS, Commuter CHAOS, Schools CHAOS, Chaotic CHAOS  ;D  CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS  ;D

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NigelsLiveoutLover

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2013, 03:34:23 pm »
Scottish Borders
Been pretty snowed in for 4 days
Grandchildren need their .best sledge but it is here with us and they are a few miles away.
Over the knees and deeper as it is drifting .
Annoying that a few miles away there are no problems.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »
We are in the middle of the south of Scotland, west of the Borders, and there's little problem here.  It has been snowing all day, on top of old snow, but there's only a few inches lying.   We'll see how the school bus manages on the hill  :o    It seems very cold though - until you compare it to Lostlambs in Canada  :cold: 8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 03:58:22 pm »
Nothing here except sleet and stong winds.  :gloomy:

HappyHippy

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
We've had about 4 inches fall over the course of the day, but it is windy so it's blowing around a bit.
The main roads are all fine apparently - but they're 3 miles away from our road  ::) The snow is still coming down, fairly heavily (or maybe it's just because it's getting dark?) so doesn't look like the kids will be at school tomorrow either  :tired: :tired: :tired:

At least we got the farrowing pens finished and all 3 pigs are in them  :relief: :thumbsup:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:37 pm »
Here on the eastern edge of Germany we have about 6/8 ins and its snowing at the moment. Its also very cold highs of -8/9 (normal for here).....We had UK type snow last week so all the papers are full of snowmen pics....its normally to cold/dry to make snow-balls or snowmen.

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2013, 06:23:34 pm »
just been to my highest field to make sure all the sheep have come down, got the quad stuck up to  the handle bars, got off to pull it out and its up to my belly button!

Im 6 foot 1!
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »
Here on the eastern edge of Germany we have about 6/8 ins and its snowing at the moment. Its also very cold highs of -8/9 (normal for here).....We had UK type snow last week so all the papers are full of snowmen pics....its normally to cold/dry to make snow-balls or snowmen.

That's really funny, I never thought of Uk being 'snowman snow land' - I knew there must be some advantage to our damp climate!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2013, 07:14:02 pm »
nothing up here

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:29 pm »
We've just had some light flurries in Shropshire today and the temperature is slightly above 0C.  Not enough to make a noticeable difference but better than below zero.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:28 am »
We had several inches yesterday and a cold easterly obligingly drifting it up against all the walls and dyke backs.   >:(   Couldn't get the gate open into one field - well, I could've fetched a shovel, but I just climbed through with the cake for the hoggs on my back.  Couldn't find a path through the drifts, so found a clear(ish) ridge on which to feed them and sent the collies to bring the hoggs to me.  Skip is an old hand, knew where to run to stay out of the drifts.  Dot is having to learn this one - she kept disappearing then launching herself up and out again - very funny to watch  :roflanim: but it spooked the hoggs so they went scattering and some of them ended up ear-deep too.  ::)  Never mind, at that stage it was still powdery soft so they could clamber out without too much difficulty, and didn't get too wet in the process.

Our electricity went off at dinnertime (before I'd finished cooking myself a hot meal) and didn't come back on till mid-evening.  Thankfully I'd just boiled a kettle when it went off, and our multi-fuel stove has a flat top so I can heat water - or soup - on it. 

BH went out for cake for pigs and sheep, and a hot meal for himself; when he returned he said the fields were green only a few miles west of us.

I span by candlelight until I ran out of rolags, thoroughly enjoying the feeling that this must be how it was for our ancestors, couldn't see well enough to make more rolags (blending two fibres, needed more light to see when it's well-blended) after which we did Suduko by candlelight.  Must get some more lamp oil for my hurricane lamp in case it happens again...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2013, 08:26:47 am »
Flat top woodburners are great for emergency cooking, two layers of tin foil , a chicken breast with some butter, garlic and herbs and a squeese of lemon , fold the foil into a parcell and place on top of the woodburner, your veg can boil on there as well. :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:19 am »
We've been having off and on electrics too, nice and cosy here in the mill though, we watched the Tales from the Green Valley dvd last night - it's predecessor to Victorian Farm and it's in Tudor times, very nice, funny how we all go back to basics in smallholding - our day to day isn't hugely different, just warmer with better clothing  :D   

If you haven't seen that dvd it's worth getting off amazon, especially if you're having one of those phases where you are questioning your lifestyle  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
fantastic will get the DVD will need to watch it every week to question my life style ,We ha vent had it that bad .About a foot the wood burner in the shed is on full time so the hens are all OK ,Iv booked the saw mill for Saturday to cut the trees for the new building ,dont think it will happen but it will be the end of the cold spell this week end  .....................

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS