Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the veggie plot.  (Read 196855 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: the veggie plot.
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »
Wellllllll am not sure what to put in the 'lawn' i had tatties there last year but because we are quite open here it got blight really early
then put leeks and cabbage and brussels in it and some lettice but as it was a new plot the letice bolted but the leek where lovly, will defo grown them again, I'll need to find the shop i got them from as it was the 'shop' down the road in i belive fishcross (i found them as market, so not a 100% sure where they are acually.

Hubby wants to till the soil a couple more times but it is no way near finished the plot at the side but be at least 40ft by 10ft but will be cut in half with a fence so we can have a patio away from the neighbour

in the last photo i am standing on the area that has just been tillied

rustyme

« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2008, 09:18:45 pm »
looks like you have a nice little spot there Linz !!! you should be able to grow most of your veggie needs , to save space you could grow new potatoes in tubs ( old dustbins work well ) that way you can move them about if they get in the way....

rustyme

« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2008, 01:10:43 am »
just found this , thought it may be of use to some....?

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-331/426-331guide.html

I thought it very helpfull for working out the years planting......

I also thought that this was handy , a month by month planting guide for the UK ....I always forget something....

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_index.asp

I need all the help I can get in the memory dept....

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:21:09 am by rustyme »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2008, 09:41:13 am »
ooh i like em links and booked marked them under garden in my firefox browser lol
My plans for today is the make a plan for the garden
* Fluffywelshsheep digs out her geof hamiliton computer programme

rustyme

« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:31 pm »
well it looks like there won't be any digging today !!!!! So far it has rained all morning , steady moderately heavy stuff, so just feed the horses and slip all over the place in the instant Somme recreation !!!!            This has been about the longest dry spell I can remember , well it's over , back to normal , knee deep in s***er mud.                   As I type the rain is getting heavier and the wind is picking up .  Oh well I nearly finished the plot !!!!

rustyme

« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2008, 04:04:23 pm »
phew !!!!! I got a few rows of digging done in the end !! It was tipping down while  I fed the horses ,and even through my waxed coat, I got soaked to the skin. However, it more or less stopped raining , just down to a drizzle , and the wind dropped for 10-15 minutes, so I thought might as well do a bit !!! I got about 2'6" x 20' dug , so not bad . I was, however, soaked covered in mud and knackered , so left it at that . Little by little it will get done . I wouldn't advise anyone to dig wearing all your normal clothes then a waxed coat and waterproof over trousers , very hard work ......well it is when you are soaked as well.  ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2008, 06:47:06 pm »
It's abosultely tipping it down here and strong winds = horizontal rain! Dan couldn't walk the dogs along the river bank - it was just too windy. Not good for the weekend.

rustyme

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2008, 04:51:50 pm »
I hope the wind and rain eased off a bit today Rosemary, and that Dan was able to walk the dogs ok ....?  Here today , was quite nice in the morning but went a little overcast and drizzly this afternoon . I was however , able to do another chunk of the plot. I got about another 5'6"x20' done , also did some more de-grassing etc. and I little bit of de-weeding on the comfrey plot .I will have to clear my 2 rhubarb plants soon now too. Since I have put it in I haven't had any as yet . Not that it isn't growing , it is , it is just that there is a very large two footed rabbit nicking the stuff when it is ready. I will catch them before long , and depending on wether it is male or female will dictate my actions at the time .... I wouldn't really mind if they wanted some and just asked, I would give them half of what there was. But to just take ALL of it really P's me off to say the least.    Anyway, everything is well on course now for sowing and planting in a couple of weeks time . It looks like a veggie plot again now, rather than just a lump of waste land.... ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2008, 05:46:16 pm »
hehe weather not been to bad very windy it was lazy wind today it was trying to go into me not around me and it zap most of my energy just going out and putting the washin out on the line athought i have been trying to be productive and design my garden on the computer                           but i am having a   lot of problems using geoff hamilton's 3d garden designer (it hell for me)
hehe

rustyme

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2008, 06:05:23 pm »
 :D as long as the washing doesn't get blown away all should be ok ...hopefully anyway... ;)
I have an old version of G H's garden designer. I gave it up as a bad job in the end, I would spend hours getting it just as I wanted it  and then lose it all , or it just wouldn't do what I wanted it too. Also , I found I was spending more time trying to get it to work than I was working on the REAL garden...lol. Now I just do it the old way ...draw it out on paper and then work from that .
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 06:32:57 pm by rustyme »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2008, 06:14:07 pm »
hehe, I was think of that going back to paper and pencil or using paint lol

The washing dried pretty quickly to day because of the wind
hasn't done much but i did update my blog a bit created my dh in to a start lol
post some picture of him working just to prove to people he does  work as must of the time it's me in the garden lol

rustyme

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2008, 06:44:08 pm »
did you put him back in the cupboard under the stairs ,when he finished the garden work ?... ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2008, 06:52:30 pm »
nar i put him in the shower then in the cupboard,
Cos you have to look after your tools other wise they don't last lol ;D
Linz

rustyme

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2008, 06:58:38 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)as long as he was nice and dry before you put him away !!! you don't want him going rusty.....new ones cost a fortune these days..... ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »
Yeap the old ones are the best (hence the reason i got an older version ) lol,

Anyway i think i am getting somewhere with the prog

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS