Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How's your festive spirit coming along?  (Read 28111 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: How's your festive spirit coming along?
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »
Howling a gale with torrential rain today, paddock reduced to mud soup, 2 sows and 21 weaners to look after, been feeling unwell, increased heart rate and temperature, shivering, night sweats and no sleep, saw doc this morning, diagnosed with kidney infection and stones, prescribed antibiotics awaiting blood and other tests. At the moment for me it's humbug!
That sounds dismal, but at least you know what it is and are on the way to getting better.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2015, 12:03:57 am »
Howling a gale with torrential rain today, paddock reduced to mud soup, 2 sows and 21 weaners to look after, been feeling unwell, increased heart rate and temperature, shivering, night sweats and no sleep, saw doc this morning, diagnosed with kidney infection and stones, prescribed antibiotics awaiting blood and other tests. At the moment for me it's humbug!

Oh Cosmore I really feel for you.  Kidney problems are totally miserable.  Here's hoping the AntiBs kick in fast.  Do you have anyone to help with the animals?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2015, 12:20:36 am »
Cosmore, that sounds nasty. Hope you are feeling better soon once the antiBs kick in.  :hug:

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2015, 02:21:54 pm »
  Do you have anyone to help with the animals?
[/quote]

Thanks everyone for the thoughts - Son in law fortunately taken over the animals for the time being, I've had to resort to rest as exhausted through lack of sleep, doc sending me for scans at hospital. Can't wait to get things sorted and back with the animals!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2015, 03:27:27 pm »
Adding my best wishes for your speedy recovery, Cosmore  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2015, 04:32:41 pm »
Hope you are fully recovered soon, Cosmore  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2015, 09:32:48 pm »
Hope you are feeling better soon Cosmore
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:05 pm »
My festive spirit is now looking up because the shortest day has now passed and the evenings are getting lighter. Ok, it'll be a while before we actually can tell, by knowing is enough for the moment.

Today I did a round trip of 60+ miles to buy my daughter a carving of toadstools which she had admired last time we were in the town. Took ages to find the shop again but we managed and the carving was still in the window[size=78%].[/size][/size] It was cheaper than I expected so I was able to buy a second, smaller one t :relief: o go with it. She is going to be so surprised when she opens it. :D [size=78%]

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2015, 12:59:41 pm »
I'm with you MGOM now that the 21st has passed everything looks better

HappyHippy

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2015, 01:17:29 pm »
Christmas is always full on in our house (4 young kids, one who also has her birthday on the 25th) and I'm usually all tinsel and baubles and fairly organised.
This year's a bit different.... OH has been off work sick for 8 weeks so funds are much more limited than normal  :( I'd just about managed to get everything done apart from final wrapping - was due to do that today (while the kids were at school) unfortunately the soon to be birthday girl came down with D&V last night so I'm running around like a headless chicken (on 2 hours kip) and will be pulling an all nighter tonight to finish the wrapping! Joy!
I'm finding it hard to feel festive  :( I think the lack of frost and snow (while obviously a good thing) has a bit to do with it. Rain, mud and gloom isn't very Christmassy. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be back to normal and festive instead of festering  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2015, 04:21:45 pm »

Oh HH what a time for her to get sick.  I hope no-one else goes down with it.  Here's hoping you all have a good day  :merryxmas:

I feel a great relief now we've had the Solstice and the days will get longer  :relief:  I've hated the dark and the gloom and doom, endless rain, but now I can think ahead to plan the new season....... :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2015, 01:28:50 pm »
I too feel a bit better for the solstice and turning the corner.

Friday I couldn't stop crying even at the gym and had to drop my booked class in favour of rowing and a treadmill which both face a wall!  I've several similar symptoms to the kidney infection (wishing you a speedy recovery from that) but in my case think menopause has just kicked in the last few weeks in a very big way!  Oh joy!  But the other day I was offered a wee job starting in the new year and a few folk have been so kind or just shared a bit of time in the gym and I suddenly see a silver lining  to all the storm clouds and mud in my life.  And huge thanks to Doganjo for support and tuition getting my books ready.  The tax return was a pretty black cloud for a while too!  Sorry you have a problem to deal with at this time and I hope he she or it is put behind you very soon.  Or under marching orders at least. 

So while not entirely festive i do feel slightly connected to the birth of hope and it only takes a wee thing to change which is my note to self right now.  Just wish more emphasis on reconciliation, peace, goodwill to all and all that, and less on feeding egos,grasping for the latest best must have and pushing people aside to get what we think we need more, be it the last turkey or the best venue/big dinner/party or the kids of a broken marriage to choose one parent over another.

This festival brings out the worst but also the best in people, hanging on to that..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2015, 04:04:40 pm »
Just wish more emphasis on reconciliation, peace, goodwill to all and all that, and less on feeding egos,grasping for the latest best must have and pushing people aside to get what we think we need more

Absolutely!  Mrs Womble saw a fight break out in Tesco's carpark yesterday over a parking space. What is the world coming to?

Well, I think we're starting to get there. I turked the plucky this morning, and then turned my attention to the tree.

Unfortunately last year's pot grown tree (which I had hoped would last us for several years) started to drop its needles a few weeks ago, and is now looking quite forlorn. So, I went off in search of a new one, hoping the garden centres might have cut their prices by now.  FIFTY QUID!?!? Seriously? "Oh, we have some little ones left for thirty" said the assistant.  "No thanks", I said, realising that these were all cut trees, and would hence only last a year.

So, according to the ancient Highlander's rights of “A trout from the brook, a staff from the wood, a stag from the hill—thefts no man ever felt shame for”, I found a lovely four foot tall tree on the way home, which had self-seeded on the edge of a plantation, but was too close to the road to be allowed to get much bigger.

I didn't steal it you understand.... just relocated it in a Wombly sort of way. Having dug it up carefully, It still has all of its roots, so I've planted it up in a nice big pot and hopefully it will do us for a few years before finally being put out to pasture somewhere on our land. So now half of me feels satisfied that this was a nice non-commercial, eco friendly way to go about things, whilst the other half feels a tinge of guilt that no self respecting Highlander would recognize.

I'm off to put the rest of the turkeys to bed now. They'll have a Merry Christmas no doubt, and I hope all of you do too  :thumbsup:.

:merryxmas:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2015, 12:09:14 am »
Put the decorations up today and did the tree so just a few presents left to wrap and we're ready. We're not celebrating, apart from church in the morning, until the next day as that is when the family will be coming, so plenty of time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS