Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blitzing chickens  (Read 2890 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Blitzing chickens
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:33:10 am »
Up until now I think we have been a bit lax about our chickens' health. They free range and seem well - don't look anaemic, no unexplained mortality- but now the flock is growing I want to be a bit more systematic about their routine management beyond Marraiges twice a year.

This weekend I want to do a blitz on them and do Ivermectin drops as well as de-lousing each bird and then advancing on the coop with a blow torch to see if there are any mites etc.

Is it OK to give Ivermectin at the same time as louse powder?

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Blitzing chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:44 am »
I think ivermectin does internal and external parasites so don't see the need for louse powder
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:18 am »
i asked my vet a similar question the other day ref cats. i had spot-on wormer and spot-on flea treatment for same cat. vet said to wait 24hrs between doses. personally id use the spot-on before the powder.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:59:25 am »
I  have just read something that said you shouldn't sell eggs from chickens given ivomectin.......... anyone else come across this?

(I'm in the same process as you SIN... due to dealing with a mite outbreak.... I'm still scratching!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:52:52 am »
Very good sticky about it on The Poultry Help Forum here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0 (sorry - can't do hyperlinks on my iPad)

Ivermectin is not licensed for use in chickens but I get the impression that it is extensively used.

Recommended egg withdrawal is 7 days but there is no specific chicken research on this as it's not licensed.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:30:36 pm »
Ivermectin is used for worming humans in developing countries, so personally am happy enough to have an egg withdrawal period of 7 days :)

Just becareful with Ivermectin if you have a farm collie (or cross) as they can be sensitive to it :)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Why Collies in particular?? We have a couple of labradorables but they aren't interested in the chickens

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:02:39 am »
Thanks for the advice. Why Collies in particular?? We have a couple of labradorables but they aren't interested in the chickens
I cannot remember the exact details but in basic terms some collies have a faulty gene which means they react to or cannot metabolise certain drugs the same as other dogs. Ivermectin is one of these drugs.  There is now a  test which can be done to check if a collie has the defect.
Your labradoodles will be fine  :thumbsup: if they touch a chicken treated with it.

Just to add, as said, it's not licenced for poultry and for this reason the exact withdrawal period is not known.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:39:03 pm by Mammyshaz »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
Ivermectin isn't licensed for poultry use here so there are no official withdrawal periods for it. I bought some earlier in the year to use and decided against it - one of the reasons we raise our own chickens is so that we know that few chemicals have been used.

I Flubenvet twice a year and use diatom; occasionally I worm test. We have 100 layers and they seem healthy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS