Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a night!  (Read 8547 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
What a night!
« on: November 03, 2009, 12:05:39 am »
I have just returned from my vet, £150 lighter in the pocket, but the richer for the experience and the 5 babies we saved.  I noticed a black discharge from Belle's vulva and phoned our emergency vet immediately.  I knew from my previous research that meant a dead puppy or a ruptured placenta.  So off we trundled the half hour to the main surgery, never having been there before, and a satnav that didn't like the code I put in, so knowing what village I was heading for I keyed that in then just nosed around in the dark till i found lights on what looked a likely building.  Belle was examined then put under and we got started.  Option was oxytocin and let her whelp them two days early, but Michelle reckoned we had a better chance of saving the pups if we did a Caesar.  So it was all systems go.  Five pups down one horn - only one mummified pup in the other. So the trainee vet, Iain, and I set to rubbing them as they came out and putting them in the intensive care incubator as soon as they started to breath, while Michelle stitched Belle back up an tried to wake her.  She was in a nice deep sleep and wouldn't budge till I shouted 'Birdies' in her ear.  Then she started to take notice.  It's a crucial time next few days but all pups have had their first drink and are settled.

I'm exhausted!   Salmon steak doesn't taste so good reheated ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: What a night!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:52:32 am »
well done Annie,
                   very worrying when something like that happens . Really hope Belle is ok , and that all the pups pull through too... I should think it will be hard work keeping the pups away from her stitches too now ?
When Ghillie (sadly gone now) had her pups , I was awake every five minutes checking all was ok the first couple of nights. Now they (3 boys, Al , Arnie and Steve) are 7 years old , and still just as lovely . Each of them has a little of Ghillie's ways in them .
 Still best of luck with them all mate ....have a cuppa and relax.... ::)

cheers

Russ

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:40:58 am »
Congratulations

£150 is cheap in relation to my dogs caesar 4 months ago!!

sandy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:02 am »
Well done,  :ogood job you knew what y ou were doing.......poor Belle must have been stressed out......I am around if you need anything, not staying in today....mind you, I bet you could do with some more zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsleep, I'm tiered thinking about it.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:36:45 am »
I agree with Sandy, if it hadn't been for your quick actions and the fact that you know what you're doing it could've been a very different outcome.
Congratulations, hope you're going to post a photo soon  ;)
I love puppies  ;D

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:06 am »
Well Done Annie - So pleased that the pups survived and all has gone well in the end.

I know you won't rest for checking the mammy and babies but very well done -
I hope the Vet gave you discount for knowing what to do and getting stuck in too ;D

Love from all of us xxx - pictures please  ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:31:17 am »
Well done, you both! Hope Belle and the puppies are thriving. And you too!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 01:52:39 pm »
Well done Annie, you and Belle must be shattered. I bet the vet was glad you were there. Looking forward to the pics.
JD

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:25 pm »
Congratulations

£150 is cheap in relation to my dogs Caesar 4 months ago!!
Yes, I misread the one for a three in my stupor of rubbing pups to get them to breath  ;D ;D ;D  Still worth it - less than the price of one puppy.
All nice and quite now, feeding well, and Belle is improving all the time too - eating and drinking although still being a little picky!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:58:26 pm »
How gorgeous!!

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 04:32:23 pm »
Well done both of you.  Hope they all come on strong!  What vet did you end up at Annie?  Our local 'pet' vet uses the vet college service for out of hours so its a trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow in a hurry.
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 05:46:02 pm »
Congratulations Annie and Belle, hope all goes well from now on for them.
I've fallen in love with the white/sandy brown ones.... what a good job we live so far apart!!
 :bouquet: :dog:
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 05:56:47 pm »
Well done both of you.  Hope they all come on strong!  What vet did you end up at Annie?  Our local 'pet' vet uses the vet college service for out of hours so its a trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow in a hurry.
Our local vet is Cameron & Greig at Tillycoultry and Milnathort.  I'd to go to Milnathort to meet Michelle at the surgery.

The "white/sandy brown ones" are an orange and white dog and an orange and white bitch - both are natural bobtails and were spoken for before they were born. There are two tailed black and white digs and a bobtail one too.  The tailed dogs are both spoken for too.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 08:09:23 pm »
Congrats and I'm glad Belle is settling into motherhood.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:17:55 am »
Photos, four of teh five pups.  The other long tailed dog looks similar to this one

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS