Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens with sniffles!  (Read 7223 times)

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
Chickens with sniffles!
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:29:59 pm »
A couple of my chickens sound like they have the snuffles or a  cold. I have checked their noses which seem clear and their eyes are normal. They have a gravel sound sometimes when breathing. I read that they can catch a cold but do I need to take them to a vet or is there something I can buy from a shop, that will help them.

Is calling out a vet an option? or really expensive?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Chickens with sniffles!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:02:00 pm »
I paid £30 for antibiotics for a hen - and that was a visit to teh surgery not a callout which is more expensive.

Have you got bedding that might irritate them - hay or dusty straw?

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:46 pm »
Not that I know of, the straw and hay seem quite fresh and not from the bottom of the bale. I use (Pet) sawdust on the floor, do you think that could be the problem? They sort of 'sneeze' but otherwise they seem really well and  full of life!

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:28:37 pm »
Well can't really diagnose but I used Ropadiar, and oregano liquid to add to the water, fantastic, had a couple of rescue hens in and they had similar symptoms, put this in the water and they are now fine.

Available at

http://www.homefarmfowls.co.uk/epages/BT2808.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2808/Products/Ropadiar/SubProducts/%22Ropadiar%20250ml%22

It is very effective and totally natural. If in doubt though consult a vet and you will probably be prescribed Baytril.

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:03:52 pm »
Many thanks for this, we do try and do things naturally so this sounds like it is worth a go... if not will look at the other option you mention.

Much appreciated!

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:06:15 pm »
You mentioned the oregano water, is that an infusion you made yourself or is there also somewhere you recommend buying it from?

Thanks

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:23:42 pm »
Hi, I attached a link to home farm fowls where you can purchase it from. I am a qualified aromatherapist but unless its a long term thing then with managing work and animals and everything else then don't have the time. They are very reasonable and I have purchased loads from them, they are very professional too, plus lovely people if you need advice.

Let me know how you get on.

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 11:50:11 am »
Many thanks, have ordered it and will let you know how I get on. I really do appreciate recommendations that are natural, one of the reasons for keeping the chickens in the first place to know exactly what I am eating!

Cheers x

Mush4brains

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:54:49 pm »
I had a chicken who wouldn't stop sneezing but was fine in every other respect.  The others were unaffected (there are 6 altogether).  I tried all the remedies referred to so far and in the end it was 3 trips to the vet and 2 types of antibiotics that finally fixed her.  It was mycoplasma (sp??), apparently.  She's never looked back and is my best layer, but she's not what you'd call economically viable!

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 02:38:51 pm »
Well the Ropadiar has just arrived so going to give that a try first. Then I think if all else fails then a trip to the vets may be needed. Will let you all know how I get on (and the chickens !!!) Many thanks for all advice. Back soon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS